Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic questions from a noob

jimmyjack

Hey friends - sorry if this is redundant, but I just bought my first halfway decent (that is, costing over $200) acoustic - wanted a J-45 but settled for a J-40 (money's tight). Always wanted a Gibson acoustic, and so far, so good, but I had a few questions before I take it in to be set up. My idea is to make this as close to a J-45 as I can, so the first thing I was planning on doing was replacing the plastic saddles with bone. Then I was going to replace the tuners. Is it worth it to go for the 60s or 70s Gibson Deluxe nickel tuners at $45 a pop? I have no idea what the difference is between double ring and a single ring (also, what's a tulip button?). Lastly, the guy I got this from was using really light strings - .10s, from the looks of it. I'm used to heavier strings, but was wondering if the combination of a lightweight guitar and a history of light gauge strings will make it difficult to transition to heavier gauge strings?

If it's any help, I usually tune the guitar down a whole step, to D, and will occasionally play in open E as well.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm generally not a 'gear' guy. Any advice / suggestions / tips / recommendations are more than welcome. Thanks in advance and good to be here!

Welcome; if any of your questions aren't answered here, try the acoustic forum....Those members really know their acoustics.....And remember, it sometimes takes time for answers

to flow in...

thanks, damian! Just re-posted this on the acoustic forum.

Archived