Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Gibson

Pete the Rocker

I checked out a boutique guitar shop yesterday. The owner is a cool dude, that knows his axes. He showed me some guitars that a buddy of his bought off of ebay. One of them was a "Les Paul Custom" black beauty, the Peter Frampton model. What a nice guitar....or so it seemed. The one thing I noticed right away was the fretboard color, which was made from Walnut....yes Walnut. The rest of the guitar was cleverly disguised including Framptons signature on the back of the headstock. I did notice that the binding was a little wide too. The owner of the shop showed me several other points that required a trained eye to spot the fake. And that wasn't the only one either, there was a PRS, and a Ibanez JEM7 too. The fella that bought these guitars found them to be deals, yet still paid a handsome sum ( $1800.00 for the fake Gibson). I've heard of fakes, and have seen some obvious ones, but this one could easily have fooled a seasoned guitarist searching on ebay. Personaly I would never buy one off of ebay, because I prefer to handle a guitar before I buy one. This does prove my theory that the bitterness of poor quality will outlast the sweetness of a good price.

As should be expected, what with all the sites pointing out how in effect they could 'improve' their product, the attention to detail (if not the actual quality) of the counterfeiters is on the rise.

Some mistakes which were at one time ubiquitous are now rarely seen.

P.

Archived