Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Admin

barry2001

I tried to order the VOS version of the 1960 ES335 TD 50th Anniversary (Antique Natural) . The rep told my dealer that guitar was never available in VOS . Your web page clearly states Gloss or VOS as a finish option .Can you tell me why that option is not available to me ? If not available why do you continue to show it as an option the Gibson Custom site ?

I tried to order the VOS version of the 1960 ES335 TD 50th Anniversary (Antique Natural) . The rep told my dealer that guitar was never available in VOS . Your web page clearly states Gloss or VOS as a finish option .Can you tell me why that option is not available to me ? If not available why do you continue to show it as an option the Gibson Custom site ?

There must be some communication problem along the way with the dealer, the rep. or someone. I see that Wildwood Guitars has one on their web site with photos. (This for example only, I am not suggesting that you go to another dealer) You may want to show your dealer this web site. It clearly states exactly what you were trying to order.

Check out this VOS 335 in natural

a00021_lg1.jpg

There must be some communication problem along the way with the dealer, the rep. or someone. I see that Wildwood Guitars has one on their web site with photos. (This for example only, I am not suggesting that you go to another dealer) You may want to show your dealer this web site. It clearly states exactly what you were trying to order.

Check out this VOS 335 in natural

a00021_lg1.jpg

Thanks for your reply . Im quite aware of that guitar at Wildwood and talked about it with my dealer . he called Gibson twice and they wont deliver on the VOS option . I have a problem with advertising something on your website then not delivering on it . Isnt that misrepresentation ? Gibson should remove it from their site if they arent going to make it available . And for the record, the one at Wildwood has the wrong pickguard !

In your first post you said:"The rep told my dealer that guitar was never available in VOS." We see proof that they did make them and someone told you wrong. Dealer or rep, I don't know.

Then your response is: "he called Gibson twice and they wont deliver on the VOS option". For what reason? Did the dealer tell you why? Would they make the other options? Could there be a possible reason why they would not sell it to your specific dealer? My guess is that the anniversary run is over. It is hard to discuss what they will or will not do without knowing the reason it was refused. It is an anniversary edition and a limited run. The run is probably over and all are sold and shipped. It may have been more appropriate for your dealer to find another dealer that had one in stock and do a dealer trade like car dealers do to get you your VOS. I agree that if it is not available it should be removed from the site but showing past models and information is good historic information for us and something a lot of web sites do.. It is a fact that they did make it available in natural VOS. You would have to check with an attorney to find out if it is misrepresentation to show a model that is out of stock and may no longer be made and they are slow about updating the web site. You should probably call Gibson Customer Service to discuss it in person with someone that has the facts or can check them.

I am not trying to sound negative but just need more facts. It sounds like you were not told much except "Gibson won't do it", and not the real reason why. I'm glad that you did purchase this model even if it is gloss and not VOS.

FYI, 4 years ago I wanted a guitar that was on the web site and was in production but I wanted it in natural not a burst. I contacted 5 dealers with exactly the same information. 3 dealers told me that Gibson would not do it. 2 dealers gave me quotes so I ordered it from one of them.

In your first post you said:"The rep told my dealer that guitar was never available in VOS." We see proof that they did make them and someone told you wrong. Dealer or rep, I don't know.

Then your response is: "he called Gibson twice and they wont deliver on the VOS option". For what reason? Did the dealer tell you why? Would they make the other options? Could there be a possible reason why they would not sell it to your specific dealer? My guess is that the anniversary run is over. It is hard to discuss what they will or will not do without knowing the reason it was refused. It is an anniversary edition and a limited run. The run is probably over and all are sold and shipped. It may have been more appropriate for your dealer to find another dealer that had one in stock and do a dealer trade like car dealers do to get you your VOS. I agree that if it is not available it should be removed from the site but showing past models and information is good historic information for us and something a lot of web sites do.. It is a fact that they did make it available in natural VOS. You would have to check with an attorney to find out if it is misrepresentation to show a model that is out of stock and may no longer be made and they are slow about updating the web site. You should probably call Gibson Customer Service to discuss it in person with someone that has the facts or can check them.

I am not trying to sound negative but just need more facts. It sounds like you were not told much except "Gibson won't do it", and not the real reason why. I'm glad that you did purchase this model even if it is gloss and not VOS.

FYI, 4 years ago I wanted a guitar that was on the web site and was in production but I wanted it in natural not a burst. I contacted 5 dealers with exactly the same information. 3 dealers told me that Gibson would not do it. 2 dealers gave me quotes so I ordered it from one of them.

My dealer said the rep called memphis and they stated that this model/color was never produced in VOS . Ill take your advice and called customer service . I assume the number is on the site ?

CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE USA:

1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

Some of the internet dealers are showing them in stock:

ZZound also has one on their web site in VOS Natural.

335 VOS

Musician's Friend also carrys them.

Gibson Custom 1960 ES-335 VOS Electric Guitar (Antique Natural)

Sweetwater has them

50th Anniversary 1960 ES-335TD

Guitar center has them

1960 ES-335 VOS

Archived