Gibson Brands Forums

Need help deciding!!!

sonnyksac

Hello all,

Been playing LPs for 20+ yrs but still consider myself a newbie with all the facts and info behind it.

So, I just bought the Slash Custom Shop 2008 and a 57' Custom Shop Reissue. I LOVE THE SLASH! But the neck on the 57' isnt working for me. I looked at some 60s Reissues and they were better than the 57 but still not perfect. What kind of LP will be most similar to the Slash?

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Been playing LPs for 20+ yrs but still consider myself a newbie with all the facts and info behind it.

So, I just bought the Slash Custom Shop 2008 and a 57' Custom Shop Reissue. I LOVE THE SLASH! But the neck on the 57' isnt working for me. I looked at some 60s Reissues and they were better than the 57 but still not perfect. What kind of LP will be most similar to the Slash?

I agree with you that a neck either makes or breaks a guitar; it's so important. I believe that the '57 has quite a fat neck. I also think that the neck was slimmed down quite a bit in late '58 to produce the "Holy Grail" what we now call the '59, which was produced over a very short period. I was used to the much slimmer neck on my Hamer, so when I tried the '59 Les Paul, it did seem rather fat, but it is comfortable, and many players comment upon this, saying that it's more comfortable for playing over long sessions. While the fatter neck of the '59 first felt fat, now after playing a while, my Hamer's neck profile feels too thin, and my fingers and especially thumb, are all over the fretboard, and lacking support from the back of the neck. I tried, well actually bought a Melvin Franks, which is the Peter Green signature, and this has a '59 neck, which has been slimmed down and re-profiled, and I just couldn't get on with it, I missed the comfortable rounded D profile of the original '59 neck, so swapped this guitar for a normal '59 Standard, which I am very happy with. It's all a matter of personal preferences, and while the advice from the Custom Shop points you towards the neck you are familiar with, please try the '59 for a while with an open mind; too many professional players agree that this neck is perfect.... for them. Good luck, tell us how you get on... please :)

Archived