Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175 with bigsby tremlo

dfeuti

Yes, that's a fair price for a Gibson ES175 that does not have any structural, electrical, mechanical, or cosmetic problems. I've been shopping for a 295 or a 175 for several months, and that's definitely a fair price especially if it has the original case (and even more so if it has the original tailpiece). The wine red is a nice color; the tobacco sunburst is probably the most desireable finish, wine red is less desireable (in terms of resale). The Bigsby actually detracts from the value of a 175, but I would LOVE a 175 with a Bigsby. In fact, I just purchased a 295 with a Bigsby. Same guitar, different color scheme. Mine has P100 pickups, which I don't recommend on this instrument.

thanks bigsbyman

It does not have the original case or the original tailpiece. is it possible it came from the factory with the bigsby?

I was also told that the original owner was Duke Robillard. I know someone that has played with him and said he did have wine red finish but no bigsby.

hard decission ahead.

The ES175 is a jazz player's classic and has a long history of great players

IMO it would never be supplied new with a Bigsby, and having one would detract from it's value to a jazz purist

Moving into C&W and Rockabilly territory though....I have seen ES295's with Bigsby's which look the part

And would probably be more appreciated thus

V

:-({|=

That's still a fair price for a 175. It's not old enough that NOT having the original tailpiece is an issue. It just would have been nice. It should have a hard case for that price though. It's not a collectable version of a 175, but that doesn't mean it isn't a nice 175 or a good deal. Don't shy away from it if that's what you are looking for. The price is about as good as it gets if you are looking for a 175 with a Bigsby.

It has a hard shell case just not the original. I realy want a natural finish but if it was really owned by Duke Robillard then it is more interesting. I know someone who has played with Duke and saw his 175 but it did not have the Bigsby so I am not sure it he added it later or someone esle did after he sold it.

Archived