Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird

Jazz754

I'm going to be purchasing a Gibson Hummingbird in the near future. I've been playing the one at my local guitar center for almost a year, trying to pass the time until I can buy one of my own. I just have one question about the sound. I know the Gibson Hummingbird has a deeper, more mellow sound in comparison with Martins or Taylor guitars; the one at my local guitar center seems like it's been there for a long time and is need of a tuning and some new strings because when I play barre chords on it, especially an f, it sounds a little more muted than it should. So my question is, when I buy a new one will it sound a little brigter or less muted than the one on the wall at the guitar center?

Even among guitars in any maker's line, each guitar will sound a bit different....so, it can be very subjective.....If the guitar at GC has been there for a year or longer, you SHOULD be able to get it a bit above their cost...

You should have GC put new strings on it for you.....it needs new strings anyways, and for such an expensive guitar they should be courting any potential sale of the guitar.......

Damian's right on the price and all else.

Each guitar is different; each plays different. Strings also will make a major difference on how a given instrument will sound. So also will the player's style.

Insist on a proper setup with the new strings of a sort you prefer and a hardshell case that I think the guitar probably supposedly comes with regardless.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bird being "deeper" than a Martin; mellow, yup, although a good old Martin can sound really nice, depending on body style, etc. I just happen to prefer Gibson style necks, so if somebody offered me equivalent Martin or Gibson, I'd end up with the Gibson any day. But sound... I'll never badmouth Martin.

m

Archived