Gibson Brands Forums

Huge problem with Indonesian AJ220SCE

nr2003man

Went to my local Guitar Center and got a acoustic aj220sce and I have had nothing but problems. I'm new to acoustics but I discovered on the high e string the thinest one, from the 5th fret on down to the 13th fret the notes are dead and sound exactly the same pitch. So I took it back and I tried out all the other exact same models which were brand new in the boxes in the store and they pretty much did the same thing. The inspection numbers were all different to so it's not just a random thing. I finally found one that worked perfect with no dead notes at all, now that I've had it for a few weeks it is now doing the same thing as the others. Same exact multiple notes on the high e string and some at the 13th and 14th fret of the g string. I have done nothing to it not even changed strings. I placed a capo several places on the neck just to test to see if it could be a nut problem and it still did the same thing. I don't know if that was a good test to do or not, but I figured since I could fit a piece of paper in between the nut and the headstock on the righthand side that the nut must not be seated in all the way, but after doing the capo test I'm not too sure that is the problem. Another thing, the wood already has a nick and slight crack forming in it at the 1st fret, it's nothing major all guitars get wear marks on the board, but this one? only after a few weeks? What kind of wood are those Indonesian's using? Crap? I could deal with the slight nick, but multiple dead notes on a product name I have grown to love and trust since 2004 is unacceptable. What happened to the quality of Epiphone? One word Indonesia.

It sounds like a simple matter of adjusting the truss rod to provide more relief. It's common to have to adjust the relief one way or another a couple times of year, due to seasonal environmental changes that effect the wood. Are you familiar with how to do this?

Red 333

When I was shopping for my last guitar I played several of these at 2 different Guitar Centers and they felt and sounded great.

It's under warranty, why don't you bring it back to them for a proper set-up rather than trying to fix it yourself?

By the way, I ended up buying an EJ-200CE which is also made in Indonesia. The only problem I've had so far is the strap button/jack socket got a little loose. The dealer tightened it up for me.

You don't say where you live. What's the humidity like? Are you in cold environment, where the heat is on constantly? If so, the air could be very dry, which would dehumidify the instrument (especially if the guitar is not kept in a case). That could cause the top to sink somewhat, which has the effect of lowering the bridge, which could cause the instrument to fret out.

Red 333

It makes no earthly sense that fretting a string in 7 different places, i.e. stopping the vibration length of a single string at 7 different position would yield the same note. It defies all laws of physics. Even if the frets were mucked up, the note sounded off by the shortening of the vibration length NECESSARILY would become higher, just like on a cello.

Unless.... [huh] , in your case, the 14th fret is a bit high and stopping the strings from the 7 fret upward, the string is actually fretting at 14. It is altogether possible that when fretting at 6 you may be getting some buzzing as the e string contacts the 14th fret while vibrating.

It is odd that this is the same on all the identical models on the sales floor. But, since manufacture of this guitars is likely automated, one mistake can be repeated from one guitar to the next until the error is detected.

Have a competent luthier check the straightness of the neck and flatness of the frets. i.e. give it a good set-up, then dress the frets.

I'm in Missouri and it's cold! I think I dried it out by running a heater. I got the guitar replaced and got a Fender. The Epiphone was good just didn't stand up to the enviroment changes. I got a hardshell case for the Fender and I'm looking for a humidifyer.

• 1 month later...

I have action issues from the 7th or 8th fret upwards across all strings that have developed in the last month....probably from lack of humidity. Where is the truss rod access for this guitar? I am ready with an allen wrench, but I can't find the location....what am I missing?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

You'll have to sand down the saddle to lower the action (or remove shims if they're there). The truss rod is not for adjusting action; it's for keeping the neck straight. If there's actual structural warpage due to lack of humidification or other cause, the problem could continue to get worse. I honestly have some doubts about the whole humidification thing, but not enough personal experience to say for sure. That's what the Martin people tried to say about my son's DM failure, yet its replacement has been fine for several years, despite identical care (no humidification).

Archived