Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pins?

Dodgermod

I have not had any trouble removing the bridge pins from my EJ-160. I did find that I had to modify my fender string winder/pin remover by tapering the outside edge of the pin remover with some sandpaper. It works just fine now on all pins, but if yours are damaged then I would suggest IBANEZ ADVANTAGE BRIDGE PINS you can get then on eBay at a good price. Try Barry Clark Music. You may need to enlarge the pin holes though. Or you can try hot rod bridge pins they are a metallic pins. I've use them on my fender acoustic and they work and sound great. In any case I would stay away from plastic or ABS pins. Good luck hope you find something that works for you.

It's possible (and common) that the bridge pins are being pushed in a little too forcefully when the strings are changed. It's the lateral tension of the ball end against the side of the pin that secures the string. The ball end is actually wedged between the pin and the bridge plate. The pin only needs to be snug, not tight.

yeah - brute force - I probably push them in too far!

thanks for the replies fellas - much appreciated! [thumbup]

As you put the pin in just pull the string taut and it will seat the pin.

If you would like to upgrade the pins Bob Colosi has some nice ones, reasonably priced.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/pricing.asp

Not sure , but they are probably 2A. Measure to be sure.

Properly installed you should only have to give the pin enough oomph to keep gravity from pulling it out.

Insert the ball through the bridge hole. Insert the bridge pin so the string is in the pin slot. Again, just enough oomph to hold the pin in the hole. You should be able to gig the ball up and down in the pin's slot. If it doesn't move freely, something is wrong. When you run the string up the neck to the tuning machine the ball should be firmly against the bottom of the sound board, up against the side of it's pin.

With the exception of possibly the low E string the strings should slide easily in their pin's slot. Unless you are using Medium gauge strings the low E should be fairly loose. My E string is not. The slot is too narrow for the bigger string. I just pushed the pin in until it wedged the string against the bridge hole with the ball firmly against the sound board. It sits up 1/8" higher than the rest, but it has not budged in over a year. I really should take some pics.

So, get you a new set of pins. You can splurge for the ivory ones with the black dots or vice versa, or go whole hog with ivory ones. Install them correctly and you will not need tools to remove them.

Archived