Gibson Brands Forums

How do I tighten the input jack on a PR5?

Humstrum

I received a PR5 for Christmas and the input jack has loosened. I've researched how to tighten it however the "jacks" in the various youtube videos and forum answers refer to the ones with the nut and washer on the outside of the guitar. What technique or tool do I use to tighten the nut on the inside of the guitar without twisting off the connecting wires? I'm not sure the product "Jacktite" would work as the demo showed it for an outside nut. If I could I would also like to put in a star washer to stop this happening again.

With all this frustration of not being able to find out the information I'm looking for on the internet I think I'm about to go certifiably "JACKNUTS"!!! LOL. If you have any advice, I would be grateful.

I received a PR5 for Christmas and the input jack has loosened. I've researched how to tighten it however the "jacks" in the various youtube videos and forum answers refer to the ones with the nut and washer on the outside of the guitar. What technique or tool do I use to tighten the nut on the inside of the guitar without twisting off the connecting wires? I'm not sure the product "Jacktite" would work as the demo showed it for an outside nut. If I could I would also like to put in a star washer to stop this happening again.

With all this frustration of not being able to find out the information I'm looking for on the internet I think I'm about to go certifiably "JACKNUTS"!!! LOL. If you have any advice, I would be grateful.

This happened to my EJ-200CE and it was covered under warranty by the dealer. He put in a lock washer and said it shouldn't happen again.

Most jacks of this sort are issued with two nuts, and one or two washers. The idea is to use one nut and washer on the inside, then on the outside stack a washer and nut, thus sandwiching the guitar body/bracket in between. This allows you to adjust how much jack is sticking out of the guitar. Thread the inside one out to reduce the length of the jacks projection outside the body. Usually, the jack extends slightly higher than the external nut.

My nephew had a similar problem where the outer nut and washer fell off and the jack 'fell' into the guitar body. I fixed his by swiping a nut off an old lamp. This jack nut is quite common and used on various electric devices like toggle switches and panel lights. Either go to the electronics or hardware store and procure a new one or swipe one from some derelict electronic device with similar sized electric components. And, yes, lock washers are available for the use. An Internal star washer is my preference. But most times, applying enough torque to the nut will hold it indefinitely.

Archived