Gibson Brands Forums

To Pee100 or to Pee90

blacksmith

I picked up a new 1973 Marshall 50 watt head all original and in mint condition. I had to try out all my guitars with it. I got to my 1994 LP Special with P100's that I was strongly considering putting a set of Lindy's P90's in. I may not, I think the 100's sound great! What do you guys think? Have you had tweakers remorse and wanted your P100's back after changing?.....

I picked up a new 1973 Marshall 50 watt head all original and in mint condition. I had to try out all my guitars with it. I got to my 1994 LP Special with P100's that I was strongly considering putting a set of Lindy's P90's in. I may not, I think the 100's sound great! What do you guys think? Have you had tweakers remorse and wanted your P100's back after changing?.....

Hello blacksmith,

Having a guitar with the P-100's, I was thinking the same change. Luckily managed to pick up a Gibson with P-90s. I like the P-90 sound better. Matter of taste. P-100s IMHO sound dull compared to regular humbuckers and more so to the P-90s. I would suggest you go and play some guitars together and decide for yourself. I don't know if it is true, but I have read that the P-100a are taller than the P-90s and may require something under them to lift them to the correct height. Pure hearsay but I thought you might want to know. Big difference in buzzing, because one is a single coil and the other a humbucker made to look like the single coil. Hopefully someone with much more experience will join in and give you a more expert opinion.

glennc

Hello blacksmith,

Having a guitar with the P-100's, I was thinking the same change. Luckily managed to pick up a Gibson with P-90s. I like the P-90 sound better. Matter of taste. P-100s IMHO sound dull compared to regular humbuckers and more so to the P-90s. I would suggest you go and play some guitars together and decide for yourself. I don't know if it is true, but I have read that the P-100a are taller than the P-90s and may require something under them to lift them to the correct height. Pure hearsay but I thought you might want to know. Big difference in buzzing, because one is a single coil and the other a humbucker made to look like the single coil. Hopefully someone with much more experience will join in and give you a more expert opinion. Don't get me wrong, the P-100s sounded good, but I was comparing them to 57 Classics and there is no comparison, so I thought a P-90 change would at least make it sound better and different to what I already owned.

glennc

• 2 weeks later...

this board is the first time ever i have heard of anyone prefering p-100's, ever, ever ever. i know a lot of p-90 players, and i can't recall anyone even being "ok" with them. p-100's are also not your typical stacked humbucker. each coil is wound super hot and then wired out of phase, so they actually have the effect of cancelling out a lot of harminics you would get with a p-90, even though they are "voiced" the same. i have that same lp special from the late 90's, so some personal experience here. i put in gibson p-90's, wired it to the 50's schematic, and did the wiring to the origional wiring diagram of a 50'5 or 60's lp and the axe came alive.

the lindy p-90's are also highly regarded by tone freaks and vintage afficianados. and the p-90 is his specialty as well.

what are we talking about here anyway? you're playing those particular gibsons and you worried about a little hum? you don't seem like you are trying to be polite with that gear. you crack those marshalls, and you won't be able to hear ANYTHING, the humming will be in your ears long after you stop playing. you, my man, are after what we call FAT GIBSON TONE. when it's time for steak, you don't head to mcdonalds, and likewise, p-100s won't get it.

Archived