Gibson Brands Forums

LP Standard 2008 Scratchy Pots

nyron59

The first thing I did when one of my guitars had a scratchy pot was I sprayed DeoxIT (this stuff rules, holy crap) into a little container, like an old film canister (remember those? ha!), or even the cap for the DeoxIT. Then I took the knob off of the scratchy pot, and took the nut off to fully expose the post. Be careful now, because nothing is holding the pot in the body of the guitar at this point. -You'll probably even want to remove the plate on the back of your Lester to expose the electronics cavity so you can hold the pot from the back. After that I took a q-tip and dipped it in the DeoxIT solution and swabbed it around the post on the pot. -Making sure that some ran down inside there. Then, I twisted the post back and forth maybe 30 times (I'm a little ocd I guess) and put everything back together. I let it dry overnight. The next day, the scratchy pot was gone! Another option would be to take it to a good guitar tech/luthier. Good luck!

The first thing I did when one of my guitars had a scratchy pot was I sprayed DeoxIT (this stuff rules, holy crap) into a little container, like an old film canister (remember those? ha!), or even the cap for the DeoxIT. Then I took the knob off of the scratchy pot, and took the nut off to fully expose the post. Be careful now, because nothing is holding the pot in the body of the guitar at this point. -You'll probably even want to remove the plate on the back of your Lester to expose the electronics cavity so you can hold the pot from the back. After that I took a q-tip and dipped it in the DeoxIT solution and swabbed it around the post on the pot. -Making sure that some ran down inside there. Then, I twisted the post back and forth maybe 30 times (I'm a little ocd I guess) and put everything back together. I let it dry overnight. The next day, the scratchy pot was gone! Another option would be to take it to a good guitar tech/luthier. Good luck!

or just replace the pot. It's an easy job. Take off the back plate first, then the knob and nut holding the pot in place and push it through. Note which wires are attached to the pot and where; I'd take a photo of the wiring at this point. Then just unsolder the wires, take the old pot out and put the new one in and reverse the process. Probably done this 100's of times on different items; guitars, amps, pedals, you name, etc... Make sure you use place your guitar on carpet or a towel and around the cavities of the guitar to keep from scratching the surfaces. Also make sure you get the right replacement pot noting the ohms, shaft length and whether it's split or not

Guys - thanks for all you guidance.

Your advice is very clear and makes it all seem pretty straightfoward. Generally, I agree with the advice of taking the guitar to a good tech but there is a shortage of them in Edinburgh, Scotland. The last time that I took a guitar to a tech - a Fender Strat (dare I say!), the guitar tech was a bit clumsy and it came back with some minor scratches. Now my LP is a thing of real beauty (at least in my eyes) - a light burst. I have never even put the pickguard on it because I think the body is so beautiful and I don't want to spoil its looks...I'm a little bit obsessive about my guitars and I'd certainly prefer not to give it to a tech who doesn't appreciate how much the LP means to me.

I'm sure my wife would tell you that the guitar collection gets more preferential treatment than her!!

Archived