Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00 vs. Blues King?

ray40

I have a EL-00 that I've had for a few months and really think its amazing for the money.

I love the body size but the neck is a bit narrow so I have been wondering about the Gibson Blues King as an (expensive) alternative.

Any EL-00 owners who have played the Blues King who could give me their thoughts?

Love the tone of my EL-00 (very Gibsonesque) but not so crazy about the nut. Looking to rectify the problem, I took out my trusty micrometer and discovered that while the nut is 1 43/64" long the neck width at the nut is 1 11/16". More importantly, the E to E spacing is a very tight 1 22/64" with plenty of space to the outside of the E strings. Installed an appropriate Tusq nut (PQ-7200-00)--length of 1 11/16" and E to E spacing of 1 26/64"--resulting in a more playable guitar especially at the first few frets. Photo shows Tusq nut installed with the original nut laid over the strings. I call it my poor man's Blues King.

EL-00_07.jpg

Define BETTER. Sound is such a personal thing. I'm a "value" shopper. I have an EL-00. I had a new nut and saddle installed. The playability greatly improved. It has the sound that "I" like. I don't care about anyone else. Play them both and deside which one YOU like. Keep It Fun, Dean

Archived