Gibson Brands Forums

How old is my hummingbird

wall

Hi guys about 30 years ago I bought a hummingbird secondhand in cork Ireland it has a serial no on the back of the neck raised numbers 841803 I tried the Gibson website but can't find a listing for it also on the inside of the case there's a label which says (handle with love ..Sam ash music store) another website says its 1966 or 1969 is there anyway of finding a proper birthday for my guitar ..thanks in advance for any help...cheers Greg Wall cobh co cork

Yes, the 841,XXX numbers could have been used in '66 & '69, but they could have also been used in '73, '74, and early '75.

There is very little that can be told from Gibson's six-digit serial numbers, and you'll have to put forth a bit more effort in furnishing details about your guitar if you want accurate information. Detailed photos will be required to narrow it down any further, and even then it sometimes can't be done.

Please post clear photos of full guitar front and back, body close-up front & back, headstock close-up front & back, and the paper label inside the body.

I tried to date it with : > http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx <

it came up blank. The response mentioned you need to use their vintage panel, which uses physical characteristics to estimate an age.

Be aware this is not a repository for Guitar serial numbers that has all the numbers back to day one. It is a Wiki. As such it requires input from users to make it work. So, don't be discouraged if you don't get an answer immediately. You can also contact it's webmaster if the Vintage Panel yields little info.

Good Luck.

Archived