Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Pickups

hangsout

Hello fellow guitar enthusiasts...So i have to say this is a great site, full of usefull info and well informed users.I have a couple of questions and have searched for hours but not found my answers.I did find a large amount of usefull, unrelated info though.Im sorry if these have already been asked/answered but i did my best to try and track down the info myself.I have a 6 month old Epiphone Les Paul Custom.Love the guitar.Its got a nice feel for me and in white,its a beauty. I play 80s style metal and classic rock.I use a marshall mg hdfx 100 with no separate pedal effects when im jamming and a small fender with a metal master pedal for practise. I want to switch out the pick ups for some emg actives (81tw and89r)or maybe a emg 60 in the neck but for sure the coil tapped 81 in the bridge....So,my questions are...will this mod require any routing for the pups themselves or the pots? Can I,and will there be enough room to run at 18 volt (2 batteries) in the control panel? And a ball park figure on how much this would cost to have done at a place like Longe and Mcquade.I would also be trading out the toggle switch at the same time.Any replies or information will be appreciated.And again,this site rocks...Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

In my time I've had many pickup changes. The good news is that the guitar will require NO modification to fit all this. The control area is quite deep and should have enough space for the 2 9v batteries. I will say tho that they need to be insulated away from the controls to stop back feed.

To ensure the batteries don't dry up to fast they should only complete the loop when the jack is used (industry standard way to do it)

Costs for all this and the switch replacement I'm guessing £30-40 (Costs £15 just for the Pickup fitting)

Welcome to the forums.

In my time I've had many pickup changes. The good news is that the guitar will require NO modification to fit all this. The control area is quite deep and should have enough space for the 2 9v batteries. I will say tho that they need to be insulated away from the controls to stop back feed.

To ensure the batteries don't dry up to fast they should only complete the loop when the jack is used (industry standard way to do it)

Costs for all this and the switch replacement I'm guessing £30-40 (Costs £15 just for the Pickup fitting)

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the quick reply...Not having to have material removed from the guitar is a good thing.Having gone through "many pickup changes",im going to assume you are familiar with the emg actives.Could i ask your opinion on the 89r vs the 60 in the neck position?On the one hand, i like the idea of having two coil taps (for variety), but on the other hand,its my understanding that the 60 has a very good clean sound.Some of the music i play requires a nice clean,what i refer to as a chrystal clean sound.Your opinion on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Archived