Gibson Brands Forums

Do the Epi. Junior and Special II Use Same Pups?

BlueEpiphone

I'm looking at the original pup I removed from my 2010 mfg.'d plywood-bodied Junior and it appears identical to the bridge pup I just pulled from my Special II.

Both have a sticker inscribed: "BRIDGE PICK UPS BHC". Also, both pups have an "R" stamped on their baseplates. The Special pup and Junior pup windings are 17.05K & 16.5K ohms respectively (according to my readings). I thought the Junior's pup sounded hotter than the Special's (although the Junior body is plywood and the Special (Limited Edition) is supposedly mahogany. Are they the same model pups or are there some other pickup identifiers I'm overlooking?

I believe they are basically the same pickups, but that depends on how consistent the pickup mfg is.

Your plywood body Jr isn't so bad, I have an '02 plywood unit that sounds better IMO than my "mahogany" bodied Jr.

Of course that's for the heavy music I usually play!

I believe they are basically the same pickups, but that depends on how consistent the pickup mfg is.

Your plywood body Jr isn't so bad, I have an '02 plywood unit that sounds better IMO than my "mahogany" bodied Jr.

Of course that's for the heavy music I usually play!

Thanks gearhead. I now notice that my Seymour Duncan '59 pup has much lower output than my original Epi. Special II bridge pup. I dropped my Epi. neck pup to almost twice the string-pup clearance of the S/D just to get a balanced neck-bridge output. I play through a USB interface into a PC with Sound Farm effects so I'm hearing an archtop right now even if I'm using a 2x4 and twine . No worries (guitarwise...). Thanks again.

Archived