Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Olympic

bluzdoctor

I have a 1961-ish Epiphone single cut full scale Olympic (Gibson made in Kalamazoo) "Melody Maker" guitar. It has a professionally repaired neck just below the nut. It has two single coil MM pickups and a black pickguard (not the tortoise shell I have seen on most Epi Olympics of this era). Much like a Melody Maker D, but only has one tone and one volume pot with a toggle switch for the two pickups. Is this a stock model or modified with another pickup? Could it possibly be a melody maker with an Epi Olympic headstock grafted onto it? What about the two pups? Normally the MM D had two tone and two volume pots and no toggle (I had a similar double-cut 1962 model Gibson MM). Any help sorting this out would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bluz

I have looked at some early 60's Epiphone catalogues, and the 2 pickup Olympic has 2 pairs of volume/tone controls in the specs and photos. The text of the 1961 catalogue mentions a "shell celluloid" pickguard, but the 3/4 size guitar in the photo seems to have a black one. The 1962 catalogue has the same text but the photo shows a double cut style full size 2 pickup model, and there are two pairs of controls plus what looks like a black pickguard. I've personally only seen one pickup Olympics up until now, so I'm sorry I can't give anymore insight than what I can glean from old catalogues.

Archived