Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Et-290 Identification

DuddyGuy

Hello am trying to date a vintage et-290 I am considering purchasing... unfortunately I do not have pics, but it resembles very strongly the Et-290 from the catalog in this post http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/63696-et-270/page__p__862594__hl__wilshire__fromsearch__1#entry862594

It has trap inlays

No trem.

It is a natural wood finish... very light colored.

Set Neck, not bolt on

Two Humbuckers

Serial number "9.50 75"

3 on a side headstock

Any body have any ideas regarding age/country of origin? Possible that this is us made? Value?

Hey thanks for the reply!

Especially for the Et-290n pics... I was having a hard time finding an example of that particular model, which is what I have been suspecting it is.

The part that throws me off more however is the serial number (I know there are great inconsistencies in early model serial numbers), however I have been unable to find any example of a similar formatted s/n. It is pressed into the rear of the headstock rather than on the plate, which makes sense being as it doesn't have a plate with a set neck. I took the "75" to potentially mean made in 1975, but with serial numbers you never know.

And from what I've read most Japanese made models seemed to identify themselves as such (although also on the plate), whereas this has no identifying marks asides from the older script Epiphone name on the headstock and the pressed serial.

Well the price on it is right... so I may just bite the bullet and leap in.

Thanks again.

No problem and good luck, but the price of admission is you must post pics here if you get it.

[biggrin]

Waiting for the seller to call me back... it's not a listed sale and she promised to hold it for me until Saturday, so if she gets back to me I most certainly will post up a few pics.

Archived