Gibson Brands Forums

Byrdland neck profiles

minnella

Granted, I've only ever played three different Byrdlands but they were from different years: '64, '68 and 2009.

But the necks on all of them felt the same (going by memory) --- thin, thin, thin!

Mine (the '68) still has the original frets and though I wasn't trying them side-by-side, the frets on the 2010 model felt pretty much the same to me.

It seems that earlier Byrdland necks were thicker, front to back, than later models. I have a '57 that is much beefier in that regard than a '59 that I recently played, and thicker than all the 60s models I have either played or owned.

• 5 months later...

post-34805-009481000 1313300419_thumb.jpgI have been looking at Byrdland necks- One thing I noticed is that about 1969 they went to a wider neck. If you look at the heel, the earlier necks have a rounded heel cap , whereas the later guitars have a heel cap with a flat section acros the center. I posted pictures in another post about Byrdlands on this site. The Flowerpot also changed in about 1970, though not at the same exact time as I found pictures of what is apparently a transitional model. I have attached a pic of a 69 with a wide neck, early flowerpot.

My 1963 has the narrow neck and is interesting in that both pickups are the Gibson archtop 'neck' pickups with the very narrow pole spacing- it would normally have a standard bridge pickup IIRC.

Byrdland necks are very thin. Even if a person has small hands, they could most likely wrap their hand around the neck. I describe it as akin to a child's baseball bat as compared to a LP or something similar being like a regular baseball bat.

FWIW, I played an '03 yesterday. It felt very similar to a '60s Byrdland. Maybe slightly different but only very, very slightly so. I wouldn't be surprised to see minor differences in necks on guitars from the '60s but nowadays they are all probably very, very close to each other.

Archived