Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird tuners

Coachmoe

Greetings!

I have a 2010 Firebird V on order. The 2010 models come with the Steinberger tuners and I don't want them. I want to replace them with the old style banjo tuner. I have searched for hours trying to locate the maker of these tuners.

I called Gibson Customer Service and was told that they don't use those tuners any more. I told the rep that they are STILL being used on ALL of the Historic Firebird models but he could not tell me who the supplier is. He didn't have access to that information.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me who supplies the banjo style tuners used on all of the Historic Firebird models? Somewhere, there is a company who makes them and supplies them to Gibson. All I want to do is buy a set.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know of any place you can buy the original tuners new. Maybe WD Parts might be able to source them through the asian factory that makes today's Kluson re-issues.

You can find them on Ebay pretty often,(usually from owners who've switched to Steinbergers) but like Larry, I don't really see why you'd want to "retro-fit" them. Restoring an older Firebird that's been modified makes sense for collector's value, but the Steinbergers are so much better functionally than the original Kluson banjo tuners, and they make the headstock so much lighter, that I'd suggest you spend some time with a Firebird with Klusons and see if you really want them before shelling out the money and going to the trouble.

Personally, I have Steinbergers on a Firebird-inspired guitar I use everyday, and original Klusons on a pristine Firebird that stays in its case except for weekly "take it out and drool" sessions.

• 10 months later...

Greetings!

I have a 2010 Firebird V on order. The 2010 models come with the Steinberger tuners and I don't want them. I want to replace them with the old style banjo tuner. I have searched for hours trying to locate the maker of these tuners.

I called Gibson Customer Service and was told that they don't use those tuners any more. I told the rep that they are STILL being used on ALL of the Historic Firebird models but he could not tell me who the supplier is. He didn't have access to that information.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me who supplies the banjo style tuners used on all of the Historic Firebird models? Somewhere, there is a company who makes them and supplies them to Gibson. All I want to do is buy a set.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!hi mate,id like the new tuners on my 2008 firebird,send me steinbergers and ill send you the originals from mine there imacculate.

Archived