Gibson Brands Forums

1990 ES 335 stock pickups.

Stewie

I have a 1990 ES335, and I was wondering what pickups came in them? I have searched and found some reference to the Bill Lawrence circuit boards being phased out and the 57s being used around that time. They are really sweet and I was wondering what they were. They are in the 7 to 8 range neck and bridge. I know I could pull them and take a look but it is set up so perfectly I don't want to mess with it. I know it is all orginal because I purchased it from a good friend who has owned it since new. I had a pro do a set up on it when I purchased it and it plays and sounds like a dream.

If you can point me to a site that has more info on this era i would also appreciate that.

Greetings from Spain

The fantastic "Bill Lawrence designed" pickups were instaled in most of Gibson guitars (les paul standard and custom, 335...) between 1988 and 1990. If you´ve got a 1989 guitar you can be sure that it has the Bill Lawrence´s pickups inside but if your guitar is a 1988 or a 1990 the only way you have to be sure is to turn the pickups around...

These pickups have a four wire circuit board on his back and "Gibson USA" and "the original" is written on them.

I,ve got a Les Paul standard from 1989 and I do believe that these pickups are one of the best I,ve ever played.. They are a high output pickups, specially the brigde position (mine is 13,65k [blink]very "guns and roses" sound man, we are in 1989...) but they can sound very very sweet too, my neck position pickup is 7,6k..

This is one bill Lawrence "the original" from 1989

NOTE: HB-R are neck and HB-L are bridge

GibsonHB-L2-2.jpg

I have checked mine and they are 7.11 and 8.79 and I am leaning toward the early 57s I have a 1990. I understand that the BLs were put in the Les Pauls and I am pretty sure the 57s went into the 335s. I am not 100% sure thought, and I really don't want to have to pull one. I have an email in to Gibson, and I hope they can clarify.

I am quite happy with the pickups and I will probably get around to pulling one some day.

I have seen pictures of the Circuit boards before, but not as clear as that one. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any sources I could look at on the net?

• 3 years later...

I have checked mine and they are 7.11 and 8.79 and I am leaning toward the early 57s I have a 1990. I understand that the BLs were put in the Les Pauls and I am pretty sure the 57s went into the 335s. I am not 100% sure thought, and I really don't want to have to pull one. I have an email in to Gibson, and I hope they can clarify.

I am quite happy with the pickups and I will probably get around to pulling one some day.

I have seen pictures of the Circuit boards before, but not as clear as that one. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any sources I could look at on the net?

Its only 4 screws and no mess up involved.

At least you would know what pickups your guitar are equipped with. :rolleyes:

Archived