Gibson Brands Forums

Trading my '74 SG for a '92 Les Paul ?? I need your opinion

paco_mtl

Hi folks,

I need some expert opinion here. I received an offer to trade my 1974 Gibson SG which is 100% original and in very good condition for a '92 Les Paul Standard in Wine red color. I am looking for a Les Paul and I really do love my SG so this is a very hard decision. What would you do ? Would you keep the SG or trade it for the Les Paul ?

thanks

post-30447-021437100 1299096947_thumb.jpg

post-30447-049379300 1299096793_thumb.jpg

if you love your sg, why would you trade it for anything?

one way to look at it is you can get a 90's lp all day long, but if you wanted to find a 74 sg, one that you liked, where do you get that?

i am not expert enough to know exactly how desirable the 74 is compared to other 70's sg's, but just supposing they are a hit and miss thing between getting a good one or a bucket (some years are, but i don't think that one) and you happen to have one that you like, chances are very slim you will find another you like as well if that is the case-monotary value aside. i'm also pretty sure that to find an all origional is going to be hard as well.

why not BUY a les paul, and you can shop for it and get one you like. they are all over the place.

Thanks for the help Stein, I think you are right. I should shop for a Les Paul I like instead of trying to save money by trading a guitar that I really like.

I will hold on to my SG.

if you love your sg, why would you trade it for anything?

one way to look at it is you can get a 90's lp all day long, but if you wanted to find a 74 sg, one that you liked, where do you get that?

i am not expert enough to know exactly how desirable the 74 is compared to other 70's sg's, but just supposing they are a hit and miss thing between getting a good one or a bucket (some years are, but i don't think that one) and you happen to have one that you like, chances are very slim you will find another you like as well if that is the case-monotary value aside. i'm also pretty sure that to find an all origional is going to be hard as well.

why not BUY a les paul, and you can shop for it and get one you like. they are all over the place.

Archived