Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying serial no # 927110

Godtherapy

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

If there's no "Made In U.S.A." stamp on the head, then it's probably from 1968.

If there is a "Made In U.S.A." stamp, then it's from 1970 to 1972.

You can't tell the model just from a serial number, unless you've got a copy of Gibson's logs.

Why would you be considering buying the guitar if you don't know what model it is? Have you seen the guitar? People here can help you determine what model it is, but we would need more information about it.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

If there's no "Made In U.S.A." stamp on the head, then it's probably from 1968.

If there is a "Made In U.S.A." stamp, then it's from 1970 to 1972.

You can't tell the model just from a serial number, unless you've got a copy of Gibson's logs.

Why would you be considering buying the guitar if you don't know what model it is? Have you seen the guitar? People here can help you determine what model it is, but we would need more information about it.

It's supposed to be a double cut '58 LP TV Special. Apart from the fact that the model wasn't introduced till '59, there are a number of oddities to the guitar. As for the serial number, I've seen '58 LP Jr's with sixdigit serial numbers impressed on the headstock. But apart from that, I've only seen impressed digits on Gibson guitars from the 60's. And I've never seen a late 50's Special with an impressed sixdigit serial number. To my knowledge they came with stamped, inked numbers and with a gap between the Y-number and the fivedigit serial number.

It could well be a '58 LP Jr converted into a Special but it could also be a '61 Special, converted to a '58 Special with forged number and later converted back. The neck could well be '57-'58 or from the transitionperiod in the early 60's. Less chunky as the '58-'59 necks but not as slim as the typical 60's necks.

I've just e-mailed Gibson in order to trace the guitar by it's serial number.

Archived