Gibson Brands Forums

L50 confusion

Frosty

I had a terrific sounding old L50 a few years ago which I am looking to replace. My guitar had that small, inlay logo and to the best of my recollection an arched back - which I believe was maple. Laminate or solid, don't know. I was told it was from the late 30s or early 40s and yeah, I've looked in the usual places on the web for information but it all seems so inconsistent!

Now I have found a "30s" L50 available on the other side of the country. Same small logo, etc, but there are two distinct differences from my old guitar: this one has a flat back and a V-neck. The seller says the back is "dark" color and thinks it is mahogany. My guess is that the body is stained - but could it be mahogany instead of maple? I assume a flat back would be solid wood, but I wonder what difference that would make in the tone.

My old guitar, and this one, are F hole models.

Anyone caring to share experience or insight into the L50s of this era... I'm listening.

L50.jpg

I'm sure I'll get tripped up on specific dates here, but the earliest (1934-5) L-50s had round sound holes and flat backs. In late '35 or so, they went to a 16" wide f-hole archtop style. The earliest ones in that style had flat backs. They went to arched backs a little while later but I don't know exactly when.... certainly within a year or two.

So the one you're describing is likely a '35 or '36. I believe all L-50s had maple sides and back, unless it was a production fluke. And they were stained wicked dark.

ksdaddy, thanks for the quick reply! You lay out a reasonable progression of events (soundhole, back shape). Maybe the confusion I am experiencing is due to sellers not knowing how to date old Gibson guitars accurately.

Only the 1933 L-50 had a smaller 14 3/4" wide body with a round soundhole. 1934 - L50s were typically mahogany veneer back with solid mahogany sides & neck, carved spruce top. Dark burst top & dark stained mahogany, back sides & neck. The FON (factory order number) which should be stamped insode the body would make it a lot easier to determine the year it was made. Hope that helps

Archived