Gibson Brands Forums

Help me identify my new guitar

Dirthawkin

A friend of mine recently gave me his deceased fathers old guitar. It has no serial number anywhere on it. I have taken it to two guitar shops and they both told me that without a serial number, they can't tell me anything about it. I think it is a Sheraton but I'm not sure and I don't know how old it is or where it was made. I have been researching it on the internet and have not been able to find anything exactly like it. I have not seen another one with Epiphone by Gibson on the headstock. The plating is not in the best of condition and one of the tuners is different from the others but it plays great and I am proud to have it. Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has a tuner to match the other 5 or could recommend a source for one, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Hi Tom

and welcome here !

Your guitar was build at the Samick plant, Korea in the late 80s

Here is a link to an old thread about just this type of guitar

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/49639-epiphone-by-gibson-headstock-sheraton-owners-club/

Pete.R, thanks for sending that link. That was exactly what I was looking for. There is a lot of good information there on the history of my guitar. Sounds like there are about as many of them without serial numbers on them as there are with them still attached.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hello Tom ,

I'm new here, great info, pics and links in this forum. I bought my Sheraton in Svitzerland I think 1987 new, few years I kept playing for it.Now it is more for decoration, playing only acoustic.

Serial number:80205300

I was pleaset with this guitar.

Gretings from Slovenia.

Archived