Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Prices 70's vs 80's

CajunBlues

Ok is it just me on this one ? I just purchansed an all original lp deluxe 1980 for $1700, which is an insane price considering you could get one for a lot less about 5 years ago... But I have noticed all original lp deluxes in the mid/late 70's going for well over $2000 on ebay...

Is it strictly price based on the numeral of the year ? or did something happen in 1980 that was ground breaking at Gibson ?

I am also quite surprised how fast the price has been rising on 70's deluxes in the past couple of years..

I think prices are being affected by the fact it is getting harder to find a Les Paul Deluxe which has it's stock appointments. Unfortunately, a lot of people routed them out and installed full size humbuckers. I guess the mentality was bigger pick-up, bigger sound. The fact is the focused field of the mini-humbuckers gave the LP Deluxe an almost violin-like quality.

I think prices are being affected by the fact it is getting harder to find a Les Paul Deluxe which has it's stock appointments. Unfortunately, a lot of people routed them out and installed full size humbuckers. I guess the mentality was bigger pick-up, bigger sound. The fact is the focused field of the mini-humbuckers gave the LP Deluxe an almost violin-like quality.

I agree those mini buckers are pretty impressive... and they are noticeably different from the full sized ones.. I already have a custom so it would be good to have a deluxe in my arsenal... I dont see a need for a standard when I have a custom... But I do see the need for a deluxe... Besides this one is wine red... Its about time I got one of those wine red beauties...

Archived