Gibson Brands Forums

335 Case Help!!!

creepysuitguy

Hello, first let me say I run a Studio, I have about 15 studio guitars that get played maybe 2-3 times every 6 months, but I am an engineer and synth player first, then a guitar player second. Now onward.

I have a Gibson 335, the Gibson case to me was flimsy so I bought an SKB deluxe 35 case, well when I put the 335 in the SKB case the back of the neck doesn't actually touch the slots where the neck usually lays, it fits in the slots but the back of the neck doesn't touch the case by about a 1/16th of an inch, the case closes no problem, just with the neck not touching I was wondering if this could cause any damage to the guitar or the neck over time?

The only part of the neck that touches the case, at least when the case is open, is the top 2 tuners on the headstock, which I noticed last night have made indentions in the foam of the case where they lay, the body touches and fits nice and snug though.

Just a curious question because I don't want to damage this beauty. Also I don't store any of my guitars on their backs I store them on their sides!

Any help or opinions would be great

The only part of the neck that touches the case, at least when the case is open, is the top 2 tuners on the headstock, which I noticed last night have made indentions in the foam of the case where they lay,

THIS is your issue. Any part of the headstock (tuners in this case) is the LAST thing you want to be touching anything inside the case. You say the tuners touch when the case is open, the closed lid will push them down even further. That means the lid would be pushing down on the neck, and the bottom is pushing up on the headstock. Undue pressure on a Gibson headstock is the last thing you ever want. This is an ill-fitting and improper case for this guitar.

Disclaimer: I am not, nor ever have been, a fan of plastic SKB products. Others on this website swear by them.

You might want to look into an OEM style TKL case. TKL is the current supplier of Gibson factory cases, and can be bought retail (without the "Gibson" logo) at very reasonable prices.

http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=search&qsearch=335&sh=Guitar%20-%20335%20Style

I recently bought a TKL 8800 series case for my 1947 Gibson L-7, perfect fit, reasonable price through an on-line retailer.

THIS is your issue. Any part of the headstock (tuners in this case) is the LAST thing you want to be touching anything inside the case. You say the tuners touch when the case is open, the closed lid will push them down even further. That means the lid would be pushing down on the neck, and the bottom is pushing up on the headstock. Undue pressure on a Gibson headstock is the last thing you ever want. This is an ill-fitting and improper case for this guitar.

Disclaimer: I am not, nor ever have been, a fan of plastic SKB products. Others on this website swear by them.

You might want to look into an OEM style TKL case. TKL is the current supplier of Gibson factory cases, and can be bought retail (without the "Gibson" logo) at very reasonable prices.

http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=search&qsearch=335&sh=Guitar%20-%20335%20Style

I recently bought a TKL 8800 series case for my 1947 Gibson L-7, perfect fit, reasonable price through an on-line retailer.

Wow I didn't realize that such small pressure on the headstock would be able to cause any damage, I thought I was just being paranoid! Haha. I think I am going to be ordering a TKL case now :)

So overtime, say it was left in that SKB case for a year would it weaken or snap the headstock? Even if it is just sitting in the case?

No, most likely not.

But if the case was ever dropped, fell over, or was handled roughly, I would not want to run even the slightest rick of "potential" damage. I also seem to remember that SKB uses a hard molded foam, not a soft foam rubber type than most case mfg's use. A couple hundred dollars spent of a first-rate case to protect an instrument worth a few THOUSAND dollars, is money well spent in my book.

Even without physical/structural damage, you also run the rick of finish damage from "case rub". If the top tuners are hitting the fabric covered foam, the top rear edge of the headstock is also probably touching. It doesn't take much rubbing or vibration to take the finish off a corner like that.

The original TKL "California Girl" case (brown/pink) that my 345 came in, you can run your hand around the entire headstock, tuners and all (sides/top/bottom).

Yup, like Mr. L5 said, but I thought I would add..

When we have a guitar in the case we assume it is protected, and we tend to handle a case a little rougher that we would a bag or a guitar. The headstock on a mahogony neck Gibson is the weak point of the guitar, so having it IN the case like that is an accident WAITING to happen.

Try using a small towel under the neck support and also by the neck/body joint...so that it raises the headstock off the back of the case. Usually one towel does it.

One should always try the case before purchasing...a little tip. [rolleyes]

Archived