Gibson Brands Forums

Archtop f-ho acoustic - predepression?

randyscott

She's been in my family for over 45 yr, so she's not for sale (she's also my best friend). I'd just like to know the correct model no. Her measurements are 16"w x 20-1/2"L x 3-1/2"deep with 25" from nut to bridge & 1-13/16" across her nut. I had her restored/repaired by Longhorn Guitars in Ft Worth & the "expert" said that they stopped doing the tuner head logo like this at the start of the Depression (stopped doing inlays & used silkscreen to save money - well, that's what HE said), so he thought that she was born before 1930. He had to replace her back & said there were no labels or stampings inside. When I got her she had a runny black paint but I thunk the wood is too purty to cover up. I searched the interwebs for L-5, L-7 & L-37 & haven't found anything that matches yet. Everything that comes close has had the logo on a diagonal. I haven't found an F-hole dating before 1930. Long ago a friend called her a "parlor guitar" cuz she has such a soft, warm voice that won't drown out a serenade.

post-32847-008984400 1304038457_thumb.jpgpost-32847-068748400 1304038469_thumb.jpg

{edit to add} Doing my own browsing I've come across some L-4s from the early '30s that look similar in size, shape & name inlay, but only pictures of round holes. According ot some websites the L-4s "occasionally"(?) had F holes. They also have arched backs and I don't recall mine having an arched back before the restoration, but that was 25 yr ago.

Guest bishopdm

Hi Randy:

L4s sported F-holes in 1935 (there are other models that had F-holes before 1930) and that particular logo appeared 1933–1942 (I believe), so the information you were given was incorrect. Is the fingerboard elevated over the top or is it flush with the top? It kinda looks like it's elevated in your photo, but I can't be sure. An L4 would have had an arched back, so it's a shame you can't remember. I assume it has a flat back now?

Hi Randy:

L4s sported F-holes in 1935 (there are other models that had F-holes before 1930) and that particular logo appeared 1933–1942 (I believe), so the information you were given was incorrect. Is the fingerboard elevated over the top or is it flush with the top? It kinda looks like it's elevated in your photo, but I can't be sure. An L4 would have had an arched back, so it's a shame you can't remember. I assume it has a flat back now?

Thanks Bishop. Yes, the back is flat now. Yes, the fretboard is elevated about 3/8". Was '35 the ONLY yr for F hole L-4s?

Guest bishopdm

They had almost exclusively F-holes after 1933, with the old-style round hole being an option in 1937, according to George Gruhn's guide. They continued to be made until 1971, again, from Gruhn's guide I believe Gibson started making L4's again in the 80s, but I don't think they are currently in the catalog. I don't believe they ever had flat backs. My guess would be that you have an L-50 or one of the wartime special models. But I'm far from an expert in these matters.

They had almost exclusively F-holes after 1933, with the old-style round hole being an option in 1937, according to George Gruhn's guide. They continued to be made until 1971, again, from Gruhn's guide I believe Gibson started making L4's again in the 80s, but I don't think they are currently in the catalog. I don't believe they ever had flat backs. My guess would be that you have an L-50 or one of the wartime special models. But I'm far from an expert in these matters.

From what I've been able to find I'll have to rule out the L-50, but what you say about the L-4 seems coincident with what I've read on other websites. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Randy,

Oddly enough, I'm sitting here playing one of 2 of these L 50s I've had for many yaers. With the flat back I'd guess it would be from between '34 - '38.

Do you mean some actually had flat backs?

I was simply willing to accept that my memory is Swiss-cheesy and the repair shop put on a flat back because an arched back would have been outrageously expensive and taken months to acquire.

My memory is not so specific of events 20-25 yr ago cuz I smoked pot in those days.

Do you know what year are your girls?

(are they twins or just sisters?)

The fact that it was painted black leads me to believe it could be a Gibson Special #5, which was essentially an L-50 with an all black finish. Too bad the original finish wasn't any good, because I think they looked great in black. They were made from 1936 - WWII, so this is definitely NOT a pre-deppression era guitar.

The fact that it was painted black leads me to believe it could be a Gibson Special #5, which was essentially an L-50 with an all black finish. Too bad the original finish wasn't any good, because I think they looked great in black. They were made from 1936 - WWII, so this is definitely NOT a pre-deppression era guitar.

That black paint was full of runs & drips. I don't know but I think a factory paint job would have been neater than that. It looked too much like an amateur fix so I was eager to sacrifice it. Once I saw how beautiful it was in natural wood I didn't want paint.

Certainly doesn't sound like it had a factory paint job. Does the guitar have any number stamped on the inside of the body or the back of the peghead? That would make it much easier to date the guitar accurately.

Does the guitar have any number stamped on the inside of the body or the back of the peghead? That would make it much easier to date the guitar accurately.

That's why I've spent so many years hunting for folks who could help me I.D. her. She has no numbers, stamped or printed, and no labels. The guy who did the repair/restoration said there was nothing inside the body. The only way I knew it was a Gibson, when I first got her when I was about 10 years old, was the inlaid mother-of-pearl name on the front of the head. Nothing on the back of the head.

I had her restored/repaired by Longhorn Guitars in Ft Worth & the "expert" said that they stopped doing the tuner head logo like this at the start of the Depression (stopped doing inlays & used silkscreen to save money - well, that's what HE said)

Just wanted to make it clear that this is incorrect. Silk-screening did begin circa 1928 (the white variety; the gold variety began circa 1943), but it was used on low-end models. Pearl inlays continued to be used on higher-priced models throughout the depression, and were only discontinued temporarily during WWII.

Archived