Gibson Brands Forums

Date on Gold Warranty Card? Historic Custom produced?

Cyberrock

Hi all,

I've read a lot about the serials and how these are great and sometime can pinpoint date and place of a guitar.

The historic custom builds are not as easy to get this info, from what I understand?

Is the date on the "Gold Warranty Card" the date of the guitar?

Is all 2010 historic customs (a R9 standard LP and a R6 Goldtop) built in the same plant/factory perhaps?

I know I can e-mail Gibson and ask more about my guitars, but I got curious about if this actually was information I could find out by myself.

I know a lot has been written about serials here, but I couldn't find the answer to above questions

Hi all,

I've read a lot about the serials and how these are great and sometime can pinpoint date and place of a guitar.

The historic custom builds are not as easy to get this info, from what I understand?

Is the date on the "Gold Warranty Card" the date of the guitar?

Is all 2010 historic customs (a R9 standard LP and a R6 Goldtop) built in the same plant/factory perhaps?

I know I can e-mail Gibson and ask more about my guitars, but I got curious about if this actually was information I could find out by myself.

I know a lot has been written about serials here, but I couldn't find the answer to above questions

You are correct that it is hard to put an exact date on a Custom Shop guitar other than the year, and even those numbers repeat every 10 years.

The ES style Custom shop guitars are built in Memphis and it is a part of the Custom Shop in Nashville that builds most of the Historic series. The acoustics are built in Bozeman, MT.

If the gold warranty card has the serial number of the guitar then the date on it should be correct. I have gotten many that had no information on the warranty card.

It would not hurt to email Customer Service and they may give you more information. You may not get much more than the date and color.

Thanks for your reply CR9, I'll think I have a pretty good idea from your reply.

They're both built in Nashville probably and the date on the gold warranty card is probably as close as one gets on dating these guitars.

But I'll check with Gibson customer service and if I'll find out something interesting in this matter I'll let you know.

Archived