Gibson Brands Forums

L-4CES under warrenty

powerwagonjohn

I have had my L-4CES for almost a year now even though it was made Sept. 2009. I recentally brought it into Hoffman Guitars for a complete set up and check over. They found a couple frets slightly high and the outer string sadles not cut deep enough to match finger board radius. A slight fret dressing and recut sadles has my L-4 playing better than new. Gibson covered the work under warrenty[approx. $150.00] so I only paid a small shop charge. I can't say enough good thinks about Hoffman Guitars and there fantastic service, thanks Michelle! And thanks Gibson for covering the work, as they should. Now if I can only get rid of the insesent rattles from the body/pick ups/wireing. I think I will bring it back to Hoffman if I can figure it out my self. I like to do my own set ups and adjustments but not when it's under warrenty and Hoffman is the Gibson service in MN.

Thanks John

Some of the rattle is definatly in the pick ups as they are lose in the surrounds but we think that the wires may be vibrating against the top. I play the guitar acoustically about half the time and this is when the rattling can be heard. Will Gibson help us diagnose[cover the cost] the problem as they did with the set up? From what I have heard this is not an uncommon problem with these guitars. Will I have the same problem if I buy a L-5 or Super 400? Defintally on my wish list!! Otherwise this is a fantastic guitar. I have a 1956 ES225T, a 1968 SG Std, a 1966 SG Jr, a 1992 Guild X-170 and a 1975 Guild D-50 and if I could only choose one guitar it would be the L-4CES no question!!

Thanks John

These guitars are intended to be amplified. So a rattle or buzz that is not heard amplified may not be viewed as a "problem' or defect. That said, only an authorized warranty service center can tell you what will or won't be covered after he/she evals the guitar. Schedule an appointment with Hoffman, and let me know what he says.

Archived