Gibson Brands Forums

NATD

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

Because my laptop is well past it I have ordered an Android 3 Honeycomb tablet by Acer. I chose it as it has a full-size USB and has full USB hosting. This means I can connect a huge external hard drive or a thumb drive to it. It also has a HDMI output and a media station dock with a remote control so I can use it as a media centre / media server.

I have a few Android apps in development for which I want to create tablet friendly versions so it will be useful on that front as well.

It arrives tomorrow so I'll report as to it's worthyness as a media centre once I've played with it for a bit.

here it is... http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/iconia-tab-a500

Good luck - hope you enjoy it and hell Acer is bound to get something built right someday maybe this will be it. It looks pretty cool and the Android platform is all right, but Acer is my least favorite brand. We tried the small Acer convertible XP pc/tablets one year on a business lease for a group of mobile employees and had a 67% greater first year failure rate than any of the other tablet brands we had purchased. They were so bad we had almost a 10% failure rate on them coming out of the boxes.

By year three we had 11 out of 300 still in operation.

I thought maybe it was the time and that it was too early of a purchase for the tablet models but Gateway and HP both had similar products and we had typical PC issues only. That was a few (4) years back but my neighbor bought 2 Acer PC's at Christmas and neither of them made the 30 day mark. They were both mother board failures it took almost thirty days to get them repaired one lasted seven days and he called last night saying the other one had died again also.

Guest FarnsBarns

That's pretty poor. In my experience Acer makes physically sturdy kit so I usually recommend them for portables. Having looked at this thing I have a sneaking suspicion it's made by HTC who make great stuff. I have been reading the forums about these things and while some have made bricks trying to hack them there are no failures to be found. I've been hacking mobile devices since the late 90s (xda etc) so I intend to root this device and jump in. I think the biggest risk is me.

I'm fairly confident in the product.

Archived