Gibson Brands Forums

How to add clips to pickups for PCB Boards?

fontadoni

Hi there,

I have a 2008 SG Standard with PCB Board. I replaced the stock pickups with the "57 Classic & 57 Classic Plus" combo a few days ago. It was pretty simple to do. I ordered the clips and crimp connectors from Mouser Electronics as another person suggested here on the forums. The 57 classics have only a single wire, I put the black wire in the crimp connector and pushed it inside the clip. It worked fine and I was glad I didn't have to do any soldering.

However, I want to make sure this is the right way to do it. Do I need to solder the wire to the crimp connector or am I good to go???

I've read a lot of negative comments about these PCB boards but it was such a simple thing to do, plus I can swap pickups in a breeze. After comparing the 57 Classics to the stock pickups and seeing the benefits of having a PCB board, I decided to keep the stock 490's as well and install them depending on my playing situation. I just want to know if the wire needs to be soldered to the crimp...

Thanks!

No soldering is needed with a crimp clip, thats why they call them crimp clips, though I would probably suggest putting some shrink tubing on it if you have enough room as an added precaution.

No soldering is needed with a crimp clip, thats why they call them crimp clips, though I would probably suggest putting some shrink tubing on it if you have enough room as an added precaution.

Great! Thanks for your response. I will check out the shrink tubbing that you suggest.

Archived