Gibson Brands Forums

P94s on 12 String neck of G-1275?

davii

Hey [smile]

At some point in the near[ish] future, I intend to replace the pickups on my Epi double-neck and have been toying with the idea of using P94s for the 12 string neck.

Just wondering if anyone has used, or has an opinion on the sound of, P94s on 12 strings?

I'm working on the idea of a nice, clear, clean sound, but also wondering if the natural 12 string sound might become a bit too bright/harsh. I've Googled away, looked on YouTube and had a quick search on here before posting, but have yet to come by any sound samples of something similar...

[smile]

I don't have p94's on my SG shaped 12 string, but I do have the Seymour Duncan versions (Phat Cats) which I'm sure are very similar. The Phat in the neck position sounds pretty good, but if your looking for more of the Rickenbacker chime tone, I wouldn't recommend a p90 and the like. But, I do seem to get a nice clear but beefy tone on the neck position. I usually run the bridge pup on 10 and the neck pup on around 6, selector switch in the middle-gets a nice full blend.

I did get much closer to the Rick chime by putting in regular humbuckers, then wiring them for single coil operation.

I don't have p94's on my SG shaped 12 string, but I do have the Seymour Duncan versions (Phat Cats) which I'm sure are very similar. The Phat in the neck position sounds pretty good, but if your looking for more of the Rickenbacker chime tone, I wouldn't recommend a p90 and the like. But, I do seem to get a nice clear but beefy tone on the neck position. I usually run the bridge pup on 10 and the neck pup on around 6, selector switch in the middle-gets a nice full blend.

I did get much closer to the Rick chime by putting in regular humbuckers, then wiring them for single coil operation.

Your description of "clear but beefy" is probably closer to the sort of thing I have in my head. I find the humbuckers a little muddy on the 12, hence considering the P94s, but would prefer to avoid an overly bright result as mentioned (I'd have to go listen to the "chime" sound, as I'm not certain on that). Sounds like the neck position could be worth a go though.

On the double-neck, each neck's pickups share the same pair of volume/tone controls, so balancing them out might prove tricky on that score. I had considered going a lil mad and routing out a middle position, fitting a 5-way switch and throwing a 3rd one in [razz]

• 3 years later...

Just thought I'd say what I ended up doing with this, albeit several years later!

The final (or should I say current) config on this one, is Seymour Duncan SH-2/SH-4 on the 12 string neck, with coil split switch, and a '57 Classic in the neck position of the 6 string neck. Still missing a bridge pup for the 6, but intend to try a '57 Classic Plus.

It's not been the easiest of guitars to get sounding right for my tastes, but think this config should keep me happy :)

Archived