Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-125

langer1

I'm considering buying a Gibson ES-125.

Can someone give me some details about the guitar?

What's special about her, etc.?

Is it more suitable for beginners or for professionals?

In short, is worth buying one.

If so what its model (that I know it creates several different models.)

And its price.

Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure the exact production run, but it's sometime in the late 1940s through the early 1970s. It was a plywood archtop, initially with a single P-90. No cutaway. There are thinline variants, variants with a cutaway, and variants with two pickups or some combination of those. They were Gibson's low end guitars for their time, but I think they are wonderful guitars if you get one in good playing condition. I'm partial to 1950s Gibson necks anyway, and when I played a decent 1958 ES125, it created a lingering GAS problem which just doesn't seem to ever quite go away. My opinion on pricing for them is they are usually a bit overvalued, but it might just be sour grapes on my part because I don't have one.

• 7 months later...

Definitely one of the best values out there for a vintage Gibson. I've seen many ES-125 at reasonable prices compared to a lot of other models from the same year(s). I got a 1954 ES-125 basket case that I restored and sold for 4x the price it cost to fix and it was still a good bargain. Guitar was sold to a guy in the Ukraine who send me a link to a TV show he played on - it sounded amazing. Great guitars the ES-125s.

Archived