Gibson Brands Forums

What neck on 72 335

Kbielinski

I bought a brand new 335TD in 1972 from West LA Music. I was forced to sell it. Would it have had the thinner or thicker back of the neck. I know it was a Norland & it had the block inlay. What current Gibson Custom Shop model would be the closest to it? I worked all summer long at the LA Zoo flipping hamburgers to buy it!

Cheers!

Unfortunately, that was not the high point for Gibson neck design. It would almost certainly have the narrow nut (1 9/16" wide), and should also have the trap tail. There is no current Gibson model that replicates those features, and for good reason. Most players find that neck too narrow for comfort, although I have two guitars with that neck, and I find them very playable. Just takes getting used to.

By 1972, Gibson was well into their downward spiral across the product line. This doesn't mean that you won't find great-playing, great-sounding guitars from this period, but as a general rule, they don't have a lot of value.

However, if you bought it new in 1972, and it is still in very good to excellent condition, it is worth a lot more than you paid for it then, although probably not in inflation-adjusted dollars.

Re-reading, I missed your point a little bit. If you are trying to replicate your old guitar from the current line, the standard ES 335 Memphis will come reasonably close to the same neck feel, although the current neck is 1/8" wider, and generally a bit more user-friendly in the hand. If you like the block inlay look in a new guitar, you'll have to go with a '63 re-issue in some form, although it will pretty much have the same neck as the standard Memphis 335, and will be a stop tail rather than a trap tail.

If you want to replicate both the look and feel of that old guitar, a 1965-early 1969 ES 335 would be a great choice--pre-Norlin, but with a neck very similar to your '72, and visually almost identical. Build quality may also be a bit better than most ES 335s from the '70s.

I bought a brand new 335TD in 1972 from West LA Music. I was forced to sell it. Would it have had the thinner or thicker back of the neck. I know it was a Norland & it had the block inlay. What current Gibson Custom Shop model would be the closest to it? I worked all summer long at the LA Zoo flipping hamburgers to buy it!

Cheers!

I am thinking of getting the 63 Block reissue. Thanks for the advice. I sold the 335 and latter bought what I think is a late 60s SG. If so I have made money, and to top it all off I got current on the rent! I will post a pic of my SG.

Cheers,

Kaz

The Larry Carlton reissue is pretty closely modeled after the early 70s 335s. Has a stop tail and Nashville bride instead of ABR-1 and trapese.

FWIW, I had a '72 as well and played it all through the 70s. Had all kinds of problems with the neck joint. Returned to Gibson three times I think before they finally removed and reset it. I had a stop tail installed on it to settle the thi ng down, but it also needed the bridge pins reset and a host of other issues corrected. Not a bad sounding 335, but was a handful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that the 1 9/16 neck is easy to play, you just have to adjust unless, of course, you have Redd Volkaert fingers. I have a '68 335 and a 330 and they play great. I find they are actually faster after I made the adjustment. YMMV.

Archived