Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Fretboard Conditioner

esmfotoz

I'm new to this product as was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. The bottle just says "apply a small amount of conditioner to fretboard, rub in and wipe off excess". Is there a good way to apply it; cloth, Q-tips? Any suggestions? I really don't want to make a huge mess of it... :unsure: Thanks...

What I do, during an occasional string change (not every time I change strings), about twice a year for me, with the stings off, I put a few drops of conditioner on a folded cotton cloth. Basically a heavy duty paper towel wrapped around my index finger, and then rub each fret position. A few drops on the cloth will do a few frets. Do not soak or super saturate the board. Just make it shine and look a little oily or damp. The cloth will be dirty so I change the cloth around to a clean spot and do a few more frets. I never drop the fluid directly on the fret board as it may puddle or really sink in at that spot. After I get done with all the frets, I take a clean cloth and rub each position of the board to remove dirt and excess conditioner. If the board is still dirty, I may lightly go back and start over or even use a fretboard cleaner before I use the conditioner. I have found that I do not need the cleaner on my guitars, but If I buy a used one or an working on someone's guitar I will start with a cleaner and then use the conditioner. A cleaner is not always necessary before a conditioner. For cleaning a lot of us, including Gibson factories, use Naptha, also called lighter fluid, and it will not harm your nitro finish of the guitar if you wipe it on and off. I am not too sure if you would leave a big puddle sitting on the guitar for a real long time, but heck you are going to string it up and play the thing not leave it laying around.

Stewmac has an excellent video on the use of Naptha that is on one minute and 33 seconds long. Near the end it shows using it to remove grime from the fretboard with a rag. The steel wool, sand paper, etc, should be left to the experts. How to use Naptha

• 2 weeks later...

Archived