Gibson Brands Forums

Epi E Series

joeyb2112

Hello Everyone,

I just thought I'd create a thread for those like myself who have discovered the incredible E Series. In 2001, after deciding to rededicate myself to the 6 string mistress, I was looking to pick up a cheap guitar to bang around on to get the juices flowing again. A neighbor said that he had an electric that he didn't play anymore and that he'd sell it to me w/ a small Marshall 15 watt amp for $100. He said it didn't stay in tune and he'd lost the desire. It turned out to be a red E series SG Bully. Someone had done some work to it, adding Grover Rotomatics, a Bill Lawrence BL 500 in the bridge pos., a Seymour Duncan SH1 '59 in the neck pos., and a bone nut. After tweaking the neck, some de-burring, copper shielding, and pickup adjustments, I was blown away. The factory satin finished neck felt incredible and this thing was screaming. So begins the love affair.

I have since picked up a matching LP Basher off of E-bay for $150 and completely overhauled it w/ a graphite nut, new Grover tuners, a set of GFS Black nickel Fat Pat pups, and I replaced the volume and tone pots with two push-pull volume pots wired for coil tapping on both pups. What a versatile beast!

post-33723-014815100 1307542643_thumb.jpg

post-33723-020633200 1307543102_thumb.jpg

I dont have any E-Series guitars, but I am a fan of them. Its always nice to see these pop up here on the forum. I'm glad that you are happy with them. They seem to be decent guitars, even at the low end. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a Poly-Series or one of the Xtreme LPs in pearloid.

I dont have any E-Series guitars, but I am a fan of them. Its always nice to see these pop up here on the forum. I'm glad that you are happy with them. They seem to be decent guitars, even at the low end. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a Poly-Series or one of the Xtreme LPs in pearloid.

The Poly X in the Trans. Red would make a great addition to my little E Series collection. Especially w/ the Floyd.

Archived