Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony..with coil taps?

Ovie

Hey guys,

New on the foum, but had my 2004 Epi Les Paul Classic Goldtop from new & love it.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy another Les Paul and went to my local Gibson/Epiphone shop to compare the models.

The silverbursts from both Epiphone & Gibson caught my eye, but the Gibson had better pick ups and coil taps, not much in the finish though: but the Gibson weighed a lot less than the Epiphone. Gibson was over twice the price of the Epi.

On mentioning the coil taps to the guy in the store, he said that they had a Epi Les Paul Custom Ebony that also had coil taps, but just the same pick ups as the Epi Silverburst (don't know if that's correct or not). Anyway, he showed me the guitar (£499) and sure enough there were coil taps on it. Can't find anything about that being available on that model.

So, where's that model come from? And is it worth getting it then replacing the pick ups with Gibson ones?

Any advice or help on what to do would be appreciated. Thanks!

Its just a standard Epi LP Custom I'm pretty sure they started the coil tap thing this year...just like the Goth Explorer now comes with one of those kill pot things...

Archived