Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Historic '59 neck profile changes in recent years?

aside

This may have been answered here before but I'm having trouble finding the info..

does anyone know if the trend in neck profiles of the historic series Les Pauls can be found in the '59 ES-335 historics? i.e have the shoulders been tamed a bit in the last few years? The '63 models I've played are too slim for me unfortunately.

I used to own a 1998 '59 historic that I loved but the large shoulders on the already thick neck made it a little uncomfortable. None around in my area so will probably have to purchase online / unplayed so hoping to get some info here.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I can't answer whether or not there has been a factory change from your '98, but the neck on my 2009 Nashville ES 335 '59 Historic is a fairly full C-shape, but without pronounced shoulders. In cross section, the bound sides of the fretboard are near-vertical, but the neck itself begins to round immediately below the binding. The neck is substantially "fuller" than the one on my '68 ES 335, but not in an uncomfortable way. Part of the perception of the difference in fullness in that case probably stems from the narrower board and neck on the late '65-early '81 ES 335.

I have no idea how this compares with the necks on the various Memphis '59 or "fatneck" re-issues. Gibson does not make it easy to sort out the differences.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived