Gibson Brands Forums

Diagnosis?

Rev

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Before I got married I was able to find a smokin deal on a tube head. I was unable to get a cab for it at the time, because my wife would've skewered me. Last week I was finally able to find a cab on craigslist for a great price. I was also lucky enough that the cab matched the head unit (Peavey Windsors). Since I had been simply using a combo, I didnt have the tech to plug and play right away. I bought a new instrument cable (higher end Monster), a new amp jack cable (Klotz), and a footswitch (Peavey).

The volume was cranked, the tubes were warm, the neighborhood was quiet. It was time to unleash a moment of anarchy. But, alas, nothing. I checked everything - Standby switch, check. Power ON, check. Cables plugged in, check. Low and High gain inputs, tried them both. Volume knobs and Pickup selectors, checked. Pre-Amp and Master Volumes on the Head, check.

I've never owned a cab/head before, so Im not familiar with the tech on it. Everything I "checked" is simply what I know to check, but I'm clearly missing something. Diagnosis?

Also, I couldnt find a more suitable sounding forum to post this in, apoligies if this is in the wrong place.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Ok, have you tried touching the tip of the input (instrument) lead? You should get a hum. Have you been switching it on with no cab? That'll do it no good at all. Have you tried putting another source into your cab? Is there an effect loop? If so try connecting in and out with a patch lead as this will bypass the internal connection from pre-amp to power-amp.

The first think you want to do is isolate the problem by process of elimination.

It could be the cab or the amp. You have a combo, so plug the cab into the combo. It works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, try a guitar cable you know works (not good to run that way, but it won't hurt it for a test). You could also try the speaker cable as an instrument cable, just to see if it works (it might hum like crazy).

After the above, you should know if the cab works, and if the speaker cable is good.

DO NOT RUN THE AMP AND PLAY THROUGH IT WITHOUT A WORKING CAB. without a load created by working speakers, the amp will get damage.

Try the above and then we can go from there.

• 1 month later...

Archived