Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Truss Rod Cover query!

Paulocon

Hi all, does anyone know if the old style (Korean) shaped truss rod covers can be replaced with the newer shaped version (Chinese) truss rod covers. I would really like to change mine but not sure if they will fit.

Has anyone done this - and do the screw holes match up or do you have to make new ones for these to fit properly. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated etc. But, just in case you are not sure what the older (Korean) ones look like they have the words 'Gibson' on them written vertically down the truss rod cover and have a unorthodox little extra tab shape extension to the bottom of the cover that fits flush to the nut etc, but the top is still the familiar bell shape with a single screw hole at the top. (but they do look slightly longer in shape to me).

Hope someone can help me out on this topic!!

Regards

Paulocon

Hi all, does anyone know if the old style (Korean) shaped truss rod covers can be replaced with the newer shaped version (Chinese) truss rod covers. I would really like to change mine but not sure if they will fit.

Has anyone done this - and do the screw holes match up or do you have to make new ones for these to fit properly. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated etc. But, just in case you are not sure what the older (Korean) ones look like they have the words 'Gibson' on them written vertically down the truss rod cover and have a unorthodox little extra tab shape extension to the bottom of the cover that fits flush to the nut etc, but the top is still the familiar bell shape with a single screw hole at the top. (but they do look slightly longer in shape to me).

Hope someone can help me out on this topic!!

Regards

Paulocon

You don't state the year of your guitar, although I'm fairly certain that the screw holes for the 2 types of covers are different. The holes for the type of TRC with the flat bottom edge would be different from the holes for the cover with the extra scallops next to the nut.

I've seen both types available as genuine Gibson parts, mounted on Gibson grey/orange parts vacuum/blister cards. How much a cover will cost might be dependent upon where you are.

I've seen numerous examples of both styles on eBag (priced from about $4, to crazy), and some aren't mounted on Gibson parts cards, so likely to be used (rare vintage, of course) or aftermarket copies.

I assume going with a genuine Gibson part would have the most accurate hole placement.

Regards,

Bill

You don't state the year of your guitar, although I'm fairly certain that the screw holes for the 2 types of covers are different. The holes for the type of TRC with the flat bottom edge would be different from the holes for the cover with the extra scallops next to the nut.

I've seen both types available as genuine Gibson parts, mounted on Gibson grey/orange parts vacuum/blister cards. How much a cover will cost might be dependent upon where you are.

I've seen numerous examples of both styles on eBag (priced from about $4, to crazy), and some aren't mounted on Gibson parts cards, so likely to be used (rare vintage, of course) or aftermarket copies.

I assume going with a genuine Gibson part would have the most accurate hole placement.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for your response - my guitar is a Les Paul Std Gold Top from Korea manufactured in 1997. And as I stated I would like to change the TRC for a more easily accessible modern TRC which seems to be much more widely available on websites and Ebay etc. But as I also stated in my post I think the newer ones don't fit exactly and so I will need to do some additional work to make it fit, so just wondered if anyone has managed to do it and if so how easy was it and was it a good fit etc.

Regards

Paulocon

Hi Bill, thanks for your response - my guitar is a Les Paul Std Gold Top from Korea manufactured in 1997. And as I stated I would like to change the TRC for a more easily accessible modern TRC which seems to be much more widely available on websites and Ebay etc. But as I also stated in my post I think the newer ones don't fit exactly and so I will need to do some additional work to make it fit, so just wondered if anyone has managed to do it and if so how easy was it and was it a good fit etc.

Regards

Paulocon

Will the new trc, cover the holes in the old one, If it does then just fill the old holes with slivers of wood and pva glue then make new holes to suit. if not then it's a bit of work.

Archived