Gibson Brands Forums

1974 SG Pickups

tfrank

I recently bought at '74 SG used. The bridge pickup is original but the neck pickup is a DiMarzio. I'd like to replace the DiMarzio pickup and want to get as close as I can to what the original pickup sounded like. Does anyone know what pickups Gibson was putting in their 1974 SG's?

I recently bought at '74 SG used. The bridge pickup is original but the neck pickup is a DiMarzio. I'd like to replace the DiMarzio pickup and want to get as close as I can to what the original pickup sounded like. Does anyone know what pickups Gibson was putting in their 1974 SG's?

The came with the black epoxy backed HBs. Should be the same as your bridge pickup. Great sounding and often overlooked pickups. In my opinion ther isn't anything out there right now that sounds much like them. That raw high end and metallic sounding attack sounds much like original PAFs. I would just install a pickup with a similar flavour like an Alnico II Pro or a Classic'57 or whatever your favourite is. I would leave the original in the bridge position because that is where its strengths are best emphasized. Your biggest challenge may be matching the cover. It is chrome and probably worn. Your other option would be to try to find a good price on an original on ebay or at a vintage guitar dealer.

Archived