Gibson Brands Forums

Want To Change Control Knobs

Rob_J

I'd like to change the control knobs on my Dot 335 from the shiny black ones that it came with to a set of gold vintage style witch hats. Do the knobs just pull off, or is there a technique to removing them? As far as I can see, there is no set screw holding them on. I have tried pulling upwards on one, but it is not coming off, and I don't want to risk using much force and breaking a wire or damaging the pot. How do you pull these knobs off?

I'd like to change the control knobs on my Dot 335 from the shiny black ones that it came with to a set of gold vintage style witch hats. Do the knobs just pull off, or is there a technique to removing them? As far as I can see, there is no set screw holding them on. I have tried pulling upwards on one, but it is not coming off, and I don't want to risk using much force and breaking a wire or damaging the pot. How do you pull these knobs off?

Shouldn't be too difficult - a neat trick is in the attached RS Guitarworks U-Tube video (about 3 minutes in he pulls the old knobs off using a shoelace). Should work for you. Cheers - Ed

http://www.youtube.com/user/rsguitarworks#p/u/31/rRieP-FEVVA

Thanks for the link and info. I know about the "old shoelace" trick, having pulled many knobs off of Stratocasters in the past. I just wanted to be sure the Gibson knobs are just pressed on and not secured in some way. I'll give it a go.

Archived