Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone scutaway with a star on the headstock?

dem00n

I saw one of these at a garage sale, the only reason i didn't pick it up was because the body needed some major work. How rare are these and how much would they go for? I might go back and pick it up if its worth it. On the TRC is said Gibson.

Oh and i dont have any pictures, sorry.

Thanks!

I saw one of these at a garage sale, the only reason i didn't pick it up was because the body needed some major work. How rare are these and how much would they go for? I might go back and pick it up if its worth it. On the TRC is said Gibson.

Oh and i dont have any pictures, sorry.

Thanks!

In the 1890s / early 1900s, prior to the founding of Gibson, Orville's handmade instruments bore a rather unique design on their headstock like this one:

10855Gibsonguitarportrait.jpg

The Orville Series acoustics were made in Korea in the early to mid '90s. There was an EO-1 and the EO-2, the EO-2 was black and had a butterfly inlay between the soundhole & bridge.

-129383205609437900.jpg

The butterfly motif was used by Orville in the 1890s. So both the butterfly and the moon & star headstock inlay were a tribute to Orville Gibson's pre-Gibson guitars, and hence the name Orville Series (not to be confused with the Japanese Orville electrics).

Archived