Gibson Brands Forums

strange vintage headstock

vadbhoi

Hello, kiddies!

I be Gnu on here so bear with any idiocies.

I'm constructing a "one-off' magazine of all the guitars and dates owning them. but having a 'devil' of a time finding any pics of an Epiphone acoustic i had in 1970. solid spruce top,Mahogany back & sides, Rosewood fretboard. And here's the kicker, a really odd headstock that i'm having trouble even visualizing anymore. Seems like it was odd up near the 'top', like with some small cuts or tiny angled indentions. one on each side with a sort of soft rounded arc between 'em. Definatly Not the typical 'florentine' Epiphone 'cleft' in the middle But it was just right for the second acoustic of a 15 year old. It's just that after a lifetime of guitar researching and owning, I've never seen this headstock again. Wierd, huh?

Tommy K, you da man!!

well sort of. My acoustic(not a classical) looked like and had the woods of the EC20, only with the EC 22 headstock minus the classical' slots. As i can see the kind of strange little 'i-cuts' i was talking about up by the top. And the retail in my homey town(Aurora, illinois[but it's nothing like the 'Wayne's world Aurora!] in 1969 or 70 the acoustic i received retailed at $110.00 Thanks loads, dude! Otherwise, that was the only EPI I ever owned.

Tommy K, you da man!!

well sort of. My acoustic(not a classical) looked like and had the woods of the EC20, only with the EC 22 headstock minus the classical' slots. As i can see the kind of strange little 'i-cuts' i was talking about up by the top. And the retail in my homey town(Aurora, illinois[but it's nothing like the 'Wayne's world Aurora!] in 1969 or 70 the acoustic i received retailed at $110.00 Thanks loads, dude! Otherwise, that was the only EPI I ever owned.

Be aware the catalog I linked to was from 1974. These were made in Japan. If you, in deed, purchased yours in 1969 or 1970 yours was made in Kalamazoo, MI and could look markedly different.

Not sure about these 'i-cuts' of which you speak. Pictures vadbhoi, we need pictures. [thumbup]

Upload pics to photobucket, then include a link or 'img' in this thread.

This catalogue's link predates your purchase date,1966:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/epiphone66p10.php

Note there are a couple that have more Gibson-y looking head stocks and some having Epiphone-y looking head stocks.

At what shop did you purchase yours?

Be aware the catalog I linked to was from 1974. These were made in Japan. If you, in deed, purchased yours in 1969 or 1970 yours was made in Kalamazoo, MI and could look markedly different.

Not sure about these 'i-cuts' of which you speak. Pictures vadbhoi, we need pictures. [thumbup]

Upload pics to photobucket, then include a link or 'img' in this thread.

This catalogue's link predates your purchase date,1966:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/epiphone66p10.php

Note there are a couple that have more Gibson-y looking head stocks and some having Epiphone-y looking head stocks.

At what shop did you purchase yours?

Archived