Gibson Brands Forums

50's P90's Getting Microphonics

brantobrien

Thought one of you may have a recommendation that I haven't thought of. I recently had my ES225TD refretted, turned out fantastic, but in the process I also had him reset the the pickups and misc. other things as well. Got it back, LOVE IT, but I'm getting some sharp piercing what I assume are microphonics out of the P90's every once in awhile. Without affecting the tone of the guitar, is my only options to rewind the pickups or wax pot them? Is it possible since it looks like he lowered the pole pieces quite a bit, that adjusting the pole pieces would fix the issue? Since I got it back, it sounds even better than it did before (which was already amazing), but I don't want to mess with them if that wouldn't benefit me. Thanks for any help that you may have.

Thought one of you may have a recommendation that I haven't thought of. I recently had my ES225TD refretted, turned out fantastic, but in the process I also had him reset the the pickups and misc. other things as well. Got it back, LOVE IT, but I'm getting some sharp piercing what I assume are microphonics out of the P90's every once in awhile. Without affecting the tone of the guitar, is my only options to rewind the pickups or wax pot them? Is it possible since it looks like he lowered the pole pieces quite a bit, that adjusting the pole pieces would fix the issue? Since I got it back, it sounds even better than it did before (which was already amazing), but I don't want to mess with them if that wouldn't benefit me. Thanks for any help that you may have.

I don't have an ES225, but can think of a few possibilities:

[1] If the pole pieces were moved down signifcantly, the output of the pickup may appear less, and you're using more gain to compensate, giving the impression of more microphonics

[2] If the P90's sit on the top of the instrument, rather than on mounts or in a hole in the top,the base of the pickup may no longer be contacting tightly with the wood below it

[3] If the pickups are in mounts, is the side of either pickup now touching the mount or the side of the hole in the guitar, transferring noise from the top to the pickups?

Archived