Gibson Brands Forums

"the Gibson" 1926 Tenor

thekajunpimp

Wow, that is so great to have something like that passed on to you via a family member. My grandfather gave me a watch back in the 1960's before he died... just an old inexpensive wristwatch, but I treasure it because it came from him. Anyway, this isn't a big ticket guitar, but I still envy you. Something about an old Gibson guitar with a black finish is just so cool. Congrats.

Oh, and don't let anybody talk you into refinishing it (I doubt you would, since you said you've already had work done on it).

Based on the body style I would say its a 1930s era Gibson Model TG-1. Definitely not 1920s. "The Gibson" logo still appeared in 1930-31, so I would guess that as the date. It appears to be in good condition for an 80 year old guitar. Look & see if there is a number stamped on the inside of the body on the neck block, and that will help pinpoint the date.

I agree with previous post - DO NOT REFINISH THIS GUITAR. It should remain in original condition, as the value would be hurt by anything like a refinish or replacement parts.

According to Gruhn's Guide To Vintage Guitars, there was a TG-00 model with a black finish- introduced in 1932.

Here's a 1933 example:

p1_ubs5w1pz1_so.jpg

More photos here: http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-tg-00-1933-black#

Perhaps the differences ("Gibson" logo; white pickguard) were changes that took place in 1933? Note the different bridge type also (not sure what to make of that detail yet).

OR... perhaps "our" guitar originally had the white pickguard.

Just for reference, here's a 1929 TG (identified as a TG-0*), which has the same "The Gibson" logo, same body shape, and a very similar looking bridge...

http://www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.php?target=products&product_id=33732

The black finish still has me leaning toward the 1932 TG-00, but I wonder if it might be slightly earlier variation.

*By the way, I said "identified as a TG-0", because the TG-1 model should have a bound fingerboard (and a 4-point curlicue peghead inlay)

I think our guitar is probably the TG-00, a variant of the slighly plainer (as compared to a TG-1) TG-0.

I will go ahead and disagree, as the TG-OO was not available until 1932, after Gibson changed their logo from "The Gibson" to just Gibson in the 30's script lettering. I still vite for 1930-31 TG-1. The TG-0 was all mahogany and usually a natural finish. The larger body size than the 1920's Gibson tenors definitely dates this guitar to 1930-31.

I will go ahead and disagree, as the TG-OO was not available until 1932, after Gibson changed their logo from "The Gibson" to just Gibson in the 30's script lettering.

It's important to remember that the logo transition from "The Gibson" to just "Gibson" (like many details of Gibson guitar evolution) did not suddenly change, on all models, at a fixed point in time. It occurred gradually, over a course of years (in this case, roughly 1928-1934 according to my research). This transition varied from model to model.

I still vite for 1930-31 TG-1.

Here's a 1930 TG-1. According to Gruhn, those featured a bound fingerboard, and 4-point, curlicue head inlay:

tg1-main_0610.jpg

The TG-0 was all mahogany and usually a natural finish.

Correct, but I'm not suggesting a TG-0. My understanding is that the TG-00 was an offshoot, or variant on the TG-0.

The larger body size than the 1920's Gibson tenors definitely dates this guitar to 1930-31.

Again, I'm not sure you can be so sure. Here's a 1929 tenor with the larger body: http://www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.php?target=products&product_id=33732

This is definitely an interesting puzzle, and I don't claim to know the answer, but we have to really pay attention to details.

Gotta say I am certainly learning a lot from this thread. Thanks!

I originally thought the engraving on the back was a serial, but apparently its a social insurance number. Folks were encouraged to do so, in case of theft.

I'm going to call my uncle's brother in law to see if he has any info on this and will update y'all.

Thanks

TKP

Based on the body style I would say its a 1930s era Gibson Model TG-1. Definitely not 1920s. "The Gibson" logo still appeared in 1930-31, so I would guess that as the date. It appears to be in good condition for an 80 year old guitar. Look & see if there is a number stamped on the inside of the body on the neck block, and that will help pinpoint the date.

I agree with previous post - DO NOT REFINISH THIS GUITAR. It should remain in original condition, as the value would be hurt by anything like a refinish or replacement parts.

Its finished, in terms of the work (re humidification etc).

Not sure what he did, but it plays nice and stays in tune.

Found a sweet odd shaped Taylor case which fits it perfectly, all in all it was 380 for the mini restoration and guitar case.

What i love most about this guitar is the wear on the back of the neck......my uncle played it quite a bit.

Its finished, in terms of the work (re humidification etc).

Not sure what he did, but it plays nice and stays in tune.

Found a sweet odd shaped Taylor case which fits it perfectly, all in all it was 380 for the mini restoration and guitar case.

What i love most about this guitar is the wear on the back of the neck......my uncle played it quite a bit.

I am admitting defeat - I think the other folks here got it right - it's a Gibson TG-00.

Congrats on getting the old bird back into playing shape. Just curious what tuning you are using? Also curious what Taylor case you found to fit it - does it have a model #?

I am admitting defeat - I think the other folks here got it right - it's a Gibson TG-00.

There's only one other "folk" here. [biggrin] But seriously, it's not a defeat, and I certainly don't win anything. I really just enjoy sleuthing and searching and trying to solve mysteries like this, and you helped solve it too.

A couple more things, if it won't drive you guys crazy. [wink]

After doing some more searches, and sort of looking at the "big picture" (taking a lot of different examples into consideration), it looks like the Gibson logo on virtually all of the TG models post-1930 just say "Gibson". There's a bit of doubt in my mind about it though, because one has to trust that the examples people are selling or posting images of are being correctly dated by their owners or sellers. At any rate, I wonder if the neck on our example could have been leftover stock from say, '28 or '29, and not used until 1932 on a TG-00 (if indeed we're correct about that being the model here). The black finish would seem to be original, otherwise I might question the TG-00 assumption, by the way.

Also, if you look at the images of TG-00's with white pickguards, and then look closely at the area where a pickguard may have existed on our example, you can almost imagine a "shadow" of a pickguard in the lower right corner. It's also possible that the largest spot of wear (where the black paint is gone) could have been partially caused by the pickguard coming off (although it could also have been caused by finger or pick wear).

There's only one other "folk" here. [biggrin] But seriously, it's not a defeat, and I certainly don't win anything. I really just enjoy sleuthing and searching and trying to solve mysteries like this, and you helped solve it too.

A couple more things, if it won't drive you guys crazy. [wink]

After doing some more searches, and sort of looking at the "big picture" (taking a lot of different examples into consideration), it looks like the Gibson logo on virtually all of the TG models post-1930 just say "Gibson". There's a bit of doubt in my mind about it though, because one has to trust that the examples people are selling or posting images of are being correctly dated by their owners or sellers. At any rate, I wonder if the neck on our example could have been leftover stock from say, '28 or '29, and not used until 1932 on a TG-00 (if indeed we're correct about that being the model here). The black finish would seem to be original, otherwise I might question the TG-00 assumption, by the way.

Also, if you look at the images of TG-00's with white pickguards, and then look closely at the area where a pickguard may have existed on our example, you can almost imagine a "shadow" of a pickguard in the lower right corner. It's also possible that the largest spot of wear (where the black paint is gone) could have been partially caused by the pickguard coming off (although it could also have been caused by finger or pick wear).

Jim,

Thanks for your kind words - it's all GOOD. I certainly think your theory about a leftover neck is valid. Let's remember that Gibson offered pretty much any of their guitars with a tenor neck as a custom order. I've tenor L-5s & even a tenor Super 400. It possible that this tenor is a c1930 (pre-TG-00) custom order - basically a tenor neck on an L-1 body. Without the fingerboard binding or peghead inlays, it is not right to call it a TG-1, but maybe just a pre-1932 TG-00 custom order job. I agree that it looks like it had a pickguard. However, the larger 14 3/4" was first introduced on the L-2 in 1929, so it could conceivably be one of the first larger body tenors Gibson ever built & could theorically be as early as 1929, but I am still thinking 1930. If the guitar dates to 1929-1931, then the neck is correctly dated, but the guitar is NOT "officially" a TG-00, but a custom order.

I don't think the process of switching from "The Gibson" logo to the 30s style Gibson script logo was all that gradual. I have seen many 1930-31 Gibsons with "The Gibson", but I doubt that there are 1932 guitars with that logo that have been corrrectly dated (case in point the Nick Lucas pictured above). I doubt thats a 1932-33 guitar, especially with a 12-fret neck & "The Gibson". I think Folkway Music does an awesome job researching & correctly dating their guitars, but the same can't be said of everybody.

Jim,

Thanks for your kind words - it's all GOOD. I certainly think your theory about a leftover neck is valid. Let's remember that Gibson offered pretty much any of their guitars with a tenor neck as a custom order. I've tenor L-5s & even a tenor Super 400. It possible that this tenor is a c1930 (pre-TG-00) custom order - basically a tenor neck on an L-1 body. Without the fingerboard binding or peghead inlays, it is not right to call it a TG-1, but maybe just a pre-1932 TG-00 custom order job. I agree that it looks like it had a pickguard. However, the larger 14 3/4" was first introduced on the L-2 in 1929, so it could conceivably be one of the first larger body tenors Gibson ever built & could theorically be as early as 1929, but I am still thinking 1930. If the guitar dates to 1929-1931, then the neck is correctly dated, but the guitar is NOT "officially" a TG-00, but a custom order.

Agreed. Another angle to consider is the possibility that a Gibson employee was experimenting and assembled this for their own personal use.

I don't think the process of switching from "The Gibson" logo to the 30s style Gibson script logo was all that gradual. I have seen many 1930-31 Gibsons with "The Gibson", but I doubt that there are 1932 guitars with that logo that have been corrrectly dated (case in point the Nick Lucas pictured above). I doubt thats a 1932-33 guitar, especially with a 12-fret neck & "The Gibson". I think Folkway Music does an awesome job researching & correctly dating their guitars, but the same can't be said of everybody.

Here's a curiosity... (from Folkway), listed as a 1934 L7:

l7-main_0810.jpg

They're calling it a '34, while the serial number (90471) seems to me to be 1931 (?), but the model didn't yet exist in 1931. The FON is given as 363.

S/N 90471 dates to 1934 according to "Spann's Guide to Gibson" a new book that does an amazing job correcting the errors in serial #s in Gruhn's Guide. What's really cool about this guitar are the Nick Lucas-style FB inlays & peghead fleur-de-lis. It has to be another one of those "experimental" or custom-made jobs. Or possibly an employee guitar. A very pretty guitar to say the least. Folkway really gets some fine instruments and does a great job with their photography.

Archived