Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderbird IV, What a beautiful way to annoy your neighbours!

zeddybitz

I recently got my self a Thunderbird IV.

I am impressed.

At first I found her to be a bit heavy, but after I started using a wiiiiide strap (4 1/2 inch), this was no longer an issue.

As for the sound, well, this baby ROARS. I plugged her into a Hartke 300w rig and turned it up to two. My eyes watered and I was deaf for the next hour but o what fun!

The only problem I have experienced with the Thunderbird IV is the action is a little high, I had to perform minor surgery to the forward bridge bolt to get the action low enough for my needs. Most players won't find this to be a problem though.

I love the neck, I have got big hands and the thickness and width is spot on. The length of the neck is a possible hindrance for people with normal length arms, but if you have played a Precision Bass with comfort this won't be an issue.

The poly finish on the neck can get a little sticky when you sweat, this may be due to the fact that my Bass is brand new.

All up, the Thunderbird IV is a fantastic instrument for the price and if you really want to rock the place up, go get yourself one.

I rate the Thunderbird IV at 9 out of 10 in the under $1000. bracket.

Archived