Gibson Brands Forums

Help Chosing humbuckers

insulinboy

I'm looking for a pair of pickups for an SG that I'm building. I found it at a pawn shop pretty beat up but I only gave $80 for it so I dont really feel I got hosed too badly. Attached are a few pictures of before and after. I sent it to a friend in NY to have the paint done. I'd be glad to pass his information on to anyone who would like to have somthing done. He does detail finishing for cars but loves doing stuff like this on the side. I cant recomend him enough.

Anyway, I'm looking for somthing that has a nice clean acoustic like sound for the neck position and somthing that has a nice ZZtop like crunch to it for the bridge. I'd really like them to be EMG looking black pickups as I think they'd go well with the guitar but looks aren't everything :)

When I brought her home

normal_both.jpg

And after she'd been striped, there had been a lot of wood filler used on this one. She's been abused

normal_SG.jpg

And now :) I'm still waiting to see her in person, my painter sent me these pics yesterday

normal_guitar_done.jpg

normal_done3.jpg

normal_guitar_done2.jpg

Anyway I'd apreciate any help on the pickup selection. I just havn't tried enough stuff to know first hand. I'm thinking Grover gothic tuning machines and saddle/bridge

Nightmare Before Christmas, awesome. [thumbup][biggrin]

If you want the EMG look but not necessarily the sound, grab some uncovered pickups and stick some black plastic covers over them. [thumbup]

Also, for an acoustic sound, check out Shadow's Nanomag pickup like on the Les Paul Ultra-II/III.

Archived