Gibson Brands Forums

ES-137 Set Up & Varitone Switch

tcraft1

Received my ES-137 last week. Love the look, sound, and playability. However, the setup of the guitar bites the big one.

That set me off as well both with my 137 and my Studio. No effort at set up from Gibson whatsoever. What really bugged me was that my $425 Agile came out of the box with a complete set up, dressed and polished frets, and nice low action. Shame on you Gibson. How cheap can you get.

With all due respect...

A pro guitar probably should not be heavily "set up" given that so many of us have such different ideas of what makes a guitar playable.

Most folks who use a flatpick can't stand even to think about my super-low and super light string actions on both acoustic and electric setups; I don't wanna think about 13s. Both will require a lot of work on setup to get them "right" for a given player.

It's like buying an off the shelf suit - if it's a cheapie it probably comes with options for pre-cuffed trousers. If it's a better quality piece it's unfinished at the trouser cuffs.

Better is a more tailored suit that is intended to have alterations made and best is the suit with top materials made to measure - but with recognition that even within a year the wearer may change somewhat in proportions.

That's, after all, why we have adjustable bridges and truss rods beyond the natural changes due to environmental factors. The real problem to me is the nut depending on strings, etc., but that's yet another tale.

m

• 10 months later...

Received my ES-137 last week. Love the look, sound, and playability. However, the setup of the guitar bites the big one. I have fret buzz all over the fingerboard. I should have had at least a decent set up from the factory. Some guy at Gibson with the initials "BM" performed the QC on this guitar. Who is performing the QC on "BM"??????

Now I have to go out and spend $100.00 for a quality set up.

I have a question or two about the varitone...... Is the volume of the guitar through the amp supposed to drastically diminish as you cycle from setting 1-5? Big loss of volume.

Anyone's experience here would be appreciated...

My 137 custom, 345, and Blueshawk all roll off volume using the varitone. The best way to fix it is to use a volume pedal. When I bought mine I called Gibson about it and that was their suggestion and it works.

I'll say this though, the volume drop is a bit more noticeable on the 137 than my other two. The biggest drop in volume is from position 1 to the others. I set the volume on #2 and there's generally no need on the others, if I get to 1 I can roll off the volume a bit with the pot or pedal.

Archived