Gibson Brands Forums

Put new pickups in my '01 Classic

GuitarJunkie

The biggest complaint I hear about the Les Paul Classics is that unless you're playing hard rock or metal, the 500T/496R ceramic humbuckers are too much. After taking it to rehearsal last week, I have to agree. I love the sound of the burstbuckers in my '07 LP Standard faded so I was looking for something along those lines but with nickel covers. Well, one of the local shops had a set of handmade '59 PAF replicas by a company called VooDoo Pickups. I did a bit of research and they seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. The price was way outta my range, but he gave them to me below cost (less than the price of the burstbuckers). I installed them earlier today. Here are the "before and after" shots;

lp_before.jpg

lp_after.jpg

Gorgeous guitar mate. I am really digging that flame. Also the pick-ups really look like they've been around for 50 years ;). I have the 490t -498 alnico pair. How do these compare to the hotter out put ceramic. I play a bit of everything, but i think that the ones i have in right now are pretty heavy by themselves. The thick mahogany body helps it get a really deep voicing anyways.

Thanks and i know it's out of context, but pleeeease let me know if ever you need to be seperated from her ;)

Thanks guys. The "two way" grain is one of the things that caught my eye too. As far as your pickup combination, if you look at this chart from Gibson you'll see how much hotter the 496/500 are than the 490/498. Plus the alnico pickups are generally a little smoother sounding than the ceramics, so imagine your pickups, but louder and brighter. That's what I took out of my Classic.

pickups_output-chart.jpg

Archived